Tuesday, September 19, 2006

My Return to Network Television

They sometimes make fun of me at the office because I often say that the network channels don't exist to me. I can't think of the last show I watched consistently on one of the major networks. (Confession: I didn't watch "The West Wing" until the last season after catching up on reruns during Bravo's Marathon Mondays.) But I'm back!


Studio 60 on the Sunset strip is smart and funny. Great cast. Great writing. And a version of Timothy Busfield that looks strangely like Kevin Costner. Killer opening scene with the kind of monologue I wish I had written. Bradley Whitford as witty and clever and strangely attractive as ever and Matthew Perry with a stellar performance as not Chandler. Steven Weber (of "Wings" fame!) as the calculating show creator. First episode closed with "Under Pressure." Need I say more? WATCH IT!

6 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

I normally agree that network shows are crap. I would like to draw your attention to a) Gilmore Girls, b) Veronica Mars, and c) Lost as worthy network viewing. Although really, do the WB and UPN count (now one super teen network!)? Also, as a guilty pleasure, Prison Break. Oh. and 24. Well damn. It appears I heart the networks after all.

I can't wait to download Studio 60 off the internet! God bless the world wide web.

penelope said...

Gilmore! Lost! Scrubs! The Office! Earl! I could go on and on. There is some seriously brilliant writing out there.

I thought Studio 60 was fantastic. And yeah, ending with "Under Pressure"--totally sealed the deal.

Andria said...

Girl, you are really working this show! I have it saved on TiVo, so do intend to watch it. I'm even more excited now knowing you give it such enthusiastic thumbs up. I'm in the same boat as the other ladies and I heart Veronica Mars, 24, House, Scrubs, ER, Smallville, Crossing Jordan, Grey's Anatomy, The Amazing Race, America's Next Top Model. . I could go on, but I think I've revealed too much already of my TV obsession.

ashley said...

I missed the boat on Lost. (No pun intended.) There's something about feeling like I have to watch every week...I don't know. I've seen My Name is Earl, Scrubs and The Office a couple of times, and I like them, but I can't get devoted to them for some reason. I have fear of television show committment.

P.S. I forgot to give Amanda Peet props. I don't usually love, love, love her, but her character in this show ROCKS.

ashley said...

Oh, and, Andi, I admit I'm stoked that we will now get ANTM in real time. Before we were UPN-less, but now we have the CW and can watch with the rest of America! Hooray!

Anonymous said...

Ashley - I, too, thought I missed the boat on Lost. The beauty of DVD sets, though, is that you can catch up! Ditto on itunes. Plus, with the DVDs you can just watch as many episodes at a time as you want. I can totally see you getting wrapped up in Lost (and in Sawyer, Jack, Sayid...). Now that I'm in real time with Lost, I kind of miss the DVD days.