Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Continuum: A Review


John Mayer's third studio album takes a different turn from his debut smash Room for Squares and its follow-up Heavier Things. The first single "Waiting for the World to Change", which also kicks off the disc, feels like the obvious radio edit put in place to give the pop stations something to play. It's a good song, but the rest of the album unfolds with songs that sound like someone getting back to his roots.

It's got a mellow cool sound with a bluesy edge. Songs like "Gravity" and "In Repair" hearken to a Hendrix-riff while others like "The Heart of Life" and "Stop This Train" go toward a folksy grassroots rock acoustic. "Dancing in a Burning Room" shows off Mayer's talent with lyrics. And "Dreaming With a Broken Heart" has real soul and sadness and a great musical climax. It took me a few listens to get into the sound of Continuum, but now I can't stop listening. Mayer doesn't disappoint. The album makes me think of

* Nursing a cold beer on a Friday afternoon

* That first cool crisp of autumn and woodsmoke

* Streetlights on a wet road

* Sitting at a bar with good friends

* Riding in the car with the windows down and really feeling the music you're listening to

* A great first date and the day you accept a breakup

* A cold street and a warm coat

* The soundtrack to a really smart, satisfying movie

But don't take my word for it.

P.S. Before any of you hardcore music enthusiasts blast me, I am not a qualified music critic. I just like to play one on my blog.

3 cat calls:

penelope said...

Nice... I am so going to have to make this purchase.

Anonymous said...

Well, I trust you. . . and I think I'll check it out!

Andria said...

great review! I'm intrigued. . .