Thursday, September 21, 2006

In My Grill

I had to go to the dentist today. I know some people really hate - dread even - going to the dentist. Especially if you're like Kim and it seems to only lead to pain and misery. But I don't mind the dentist all that much and figure it's best to preserve the teeth that Mama and Daddy spent a lot of money straightening out. The only thing I don't like is the reminder to floss.

I don't know why, but I cannot regularly floss my teeth. It's not the I don't have floss. Or that I don't know how to floss. Or really even that I can't remember to floss. It's just that I don't like it. I don't like to floss. I know I should. And because I'm such a mint-aholic bad-breath freak, one would think that I would worry about unsightly food particles. I was taught to do it - both my parents are avid flossers. But me? I'm a flossing failure. Thinking about it makes me feel tired.

But even at 27, the hygienist will gently (or not so gently) lecture me on the importance of flossing. I know already! I know! Isn't it enough that I brush twice daily? I'm just at a loss when it comes to floss. So how 'bout y'all? Fellow floss failures or floss fanatics?

5 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

I used to be a flossing failure, but I've been a regular flosser for several years now. It was my New Year's resolution one year (I usually am no good at sticking to resolutions, but I somehow managed to stick to this one).

penelope said...

I used to start flossing a few weeks before the dentist just so that I could avoid the shame lecture on flossing. Also, it cut down on the pain factor. And it fooled them every time.

But--I do now floss. I have for about 6 months now. But this is only due to the "situation" going on with my teeth, the aching baby tooth and the receding gum and the bridges and whatnot. It hurts not to floss. But I say if you don't hafta, screw it.

xo,
Former Non-Flossing Rebel

Andria said...

I admit, I do not floss like I know I should. I, too, use the same trick of making sure I floss at least a few times before going to the dentist and it usually does do the trick! Speaking of, thanks for the reminder, I have my appt. on Monday, hope that's enough time to fool 'em!

mendacious said...

ooo. floss fanatic. as i don't brush my teeth (ahem) all that regularly- i look on flossing as spring cleaning daily for your mouth. an excavation if you will that purifies those pearly whites. floss on friends! and think about the fact that whatever is caught in there is just breeding awful rotting food- so flossing, totally worth it!

exelcior.(sp)

Kim said...

No, dude, do NOT floss, under any circumstances, or one of your poorly made fillings might fall out, prompting a return to the dentist only to find your last dentist had been drunk and you have to have ALL EIGHT FILLINGS DONE AGAIN. And then you'll cry and schedule all eight to be done on your day off, Yom Kippur, the day of atonement, dentistry-wise.

At least, that's what happened to me the last time I flossed. And I am NOT making that mistake again.