Thursday, September 07, 2006

Who's With Me?

Potter fans, is this what you thought Tonks would look like? This is one of the first casting choices made in the Potter films that I think is totally off base. She looks much older than I pictured Tonks. And the hair..is...somehow wrong.
P.S. In a recent statement to the press, Pope Benedict XVI's senior exorcist announced that Harry Potter is the "signature of the king of darkness." Is this really the only thing the Vatican has to worry about right now?

7 cat calls:

Megs said...

Well, a. of course, is that the hair should be pink. And b. it should be short and pixie-ish, to my reading of Tonks. And she should have a young and kind of cute smushed up face.

So, yes, that picture is totally unidentifiable as Tonks and I reject it on all grounds.

penelope said...

No, no, no. Totally wrong. NO! I totally reject this Tonks. I'm sure the actress is fine. It's whoever chose the hairstyle that needs to be pink-slipped.

I also did not particularly care for Madame Maxime, or whatever that was. I pictured her more big-boned and imposing, in the manner of Hagrid, not candy-colored and lanky like Jar Jar Binks.

As a girl raised Catholic, let me just say that the Vatican would do well to, I don't know, actually read the books? Who are these people, and why do they feel the need to even comment on children's literature. Feeling threatened by the hold Harry has on the masses?It's like a popularity contests for grown-ups gone bad.

Ruby said...

How funny that you post about HP movies when I am composing a post about that very thing! (I just watched #4.)

I don't think I hate this Tonks as much as others but I did hate Madame Maxime. She just looked like an ugly woman on stilts.

Kim said...

Okay, maybe that's some sort of Prank Tonks? Like a Decoy Tonks? Or, like, a deranged, obviously not very devoted fan, PRETENDING to be Tonks? Because I know Tonks. And THAT, sir, is no Tonks.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. It's totally wrong! Didn't they read the description in the book?

ashley said...

Yes, yes. Meg, you are right. It's the short spikey hair! And there seems to be an inherent openness and cuteness about Tonks. But this is not it. It's like she's an extra from Underworld 2.

And also agreed that Madame Maxime was scary and horsey. I pictured her a buxom and rotund but in an attractive sort of way. Yes, big boned.

Niki said...

Word - that hair should DEFINITELY be shorter. I remember it being purple, but I was thinking like a deep, deep purple, not almost lavender!

This Tonks sucks.