Monday, September 25, 2006

Having My Say

I don't usually talk about politics. It's a subject that gets lumped in the list with religion, overly emphatic life advice and the merit of pop music that one should avoid in polite conversation. But tonight I took a call from a very nice lady at the National Gallup Poll who wanted to know my opinions on a few things...President Bush, the war in Iraq, the state of the economy and terrorist attacks. And then she asked me to be part of the Gallup panel and consent to being polled on various subjects from time to time. I agreed. Not because I think I'm so smart. Or because I think I'm right. But because I have an opinion. And while some people in this country might not want me to express it if it isn't the same one they hold, that's one political stance I'll take outright. However little or much the Gallup poll impacts how leaders think and act, it makes me feel like I'm doing my part to be a voice that maybe isn't getting heard right now. And so I will cast in my two cents.

5 cat calls:

mendacious said...

woh! you're like one of "those people"-- now. in this survey, at this time, an average of americans thought this way, then they thought this way.

fairly rad of you i should say. although already i'm forming a lobby group to sway your opinions my way ;)

penelope said...

Sweet! Now that's a telemarketing call worth taking.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've EVER heard you discuss politics, so I'm glad that someone out there knows what you are thinking! :) It's good to be heard, and how cool to be part of the Gallup poll!

ashley said...

When people discuss politics, I feel a little sweaty and anxious. Like the moment before you know two dogs are going to get in a fight.

But somehow this seems like the perfect anonymous forum for me to fight the good fight.

Anonymous said...

As the errant hound who so often initiates the sweating episodes, I'm really glad you're part of "the poll" now.

I'm glad they didn't call me, because i'd probably start pacing and speaking with inflection like Jesse Jackson. Righteous moral zeal and such.