Friday, September 08, 2006

We Need to Talk About Your TPS Reports

For the last three days, I've been stuck in our conference room from 9 to 5 in software training. I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that we might now be on the road to TPS reports. After watching what this system can do, I'm almost certain that it's going to become the Office Big Brother. Responsibility for micromanaging will now be transferred to this nebulous internet portal that can report on each employee's individual productivity and profitability, both of which may now be directly tied to our bonuses and raises. Not that I think it's that outrageous to base raises and such on performance. It's just that this is another excuse for the blinders to be put on and focus put entirely on two little numbers generated by a computer system rather than people. I'm not going to quit my job. But I'm thinking that I just might not go back.

4 cat calls:

penelope said...

This post made me laugh as soon as I saw Bill Lumbergh and Jack Burger (as I fondly think of Ron Livingston)--and then made me cringe, just thinking about computers that micromanage your whole existence at work. Every day at Verizon we pulled up screens that included our schedule down to the minute, as well as our productivity yesterday, the past week, the past month. Fields included quality scores, phone time and call work time (neither of which should be too high or too low--figure that one out). And also, schedule "adherence"--like did you spend 7 minutes puking in the bathroom on Tuesday, or just 5 like you were supposed to. And these scores also factored into our bonuses. Which I, obviously, did not stick around long enough to see.

Please say it's not like this.

ashley said...

I don't know. But at least with Verizon, it was a giant corporation, and you could blame this sickly impersonal system on the size of the company. Did I mention that we have less than 10 employees? I know when everybody goes to the bathroom. They're right down the hall from me.

It's just kind of scary. Playing into giant corporation mentality that doesn't quite fit small company living. Agh. Ick. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. . . that sounds terrible! My stepdad got written up at work for going to the bathroom. He's 60 years old, and he's worked there for probably 30 years, and he got written up for needing to pee.

While I certainly understand wanting to keep an eye on productivity, companies are just terrible these days, and it's sad to see small companies taking on some of the same tactics (particularly when they aren't really appropriate for a smaller business).

mendacious said...

pen, you never said it was THAT scary!

at least when my asshole bosses hugged me they told me i might be too smart and creative for the job although i still have the lingering smack of the literal use of the phrase "bare minimum"... fucking brians.
i applaud you ashley for your positive attitude. i don't understand it but i wish i had it.