Saturday, September 30, 2006

Strangers Collide

It's just after 2 a.m. I'd been sitting up reading, curled up under a throw on the couch, enjoying the cool breeze from the open window. Just before 2, a sudden sound split the silence - the unmistakable sound of crumpling metal, swerving tires, grappling breaks and shattering glass. The noise rent the air so abruptly that I started into the upright position and was at the window by the time silence descended again.

I couldn't see anything, but I knew it had to be close. And then there were the shouts of voices and the sudden peal of sirens filled the air. They seemed to be coming from all directions - from the north end of town and the south and from its very belly down by the river. Police cars, firetrucks and ambulances descended on the intersection.

And then there was the sickening quiet with the blue and red lights kicking an eerie strobe against the windows of the bank building. Even from a block away, I could hear the crunch of glass under the passing traffic; the discordant voices on the radios.

I can't actually see what happened. Can't see the cars or the passengers. I don't know who was loaded into the ambulance that just pulled away. I don't know what's left for the tow trucks angling across Third Street. In just under fifteen minutes, the street has fallen quiet again...a few passing cars, distant voices, the low whistle of a train. And yet, it's another one of those moments where I'm up here, peering out the window over the limb of the tree outside, and they, whoever they are, are down there, sharing the same strange moment. Two powerful bodies in motion and then. Stopped. For one breathless instant.

Post Script: As I was rereading this to post, I heard a scream and looked over my shoulder out the window in time to see one car rear-end another as they sped through the intersection. One turned in front of the other, the later careened into the side of the first, and so it begins again. How unbelievably eerie.

5 cat calls:

penelope said...

there's something chilling about witnessing a car accident, like just moments before you know all the people involved lived lives free of annoying insurance claims, busted-up cars, the hunt for a new car while trying to get around town somehow, and certain bruises and back pains. or worse. and you just witnessed the definitive moment that changed all that.

Andria said...

wow. powerful post and comments. this whole thread of intersecting lives is highly interesting and thought-provoking.

ashley said...

I walked down to the library again yesterday to return some books. I saw the grill front off a Nissan laying in the grass and figured it must have been from the accident. I think it was so eerie in part because it was so quiet right before and then, intermittenly, so quiet while they were cleaning it up.

I don't know why I'm so obsessed with strangers lately. But for some reason, I'm all caught up in how many lives go on around us that we know nothing about - and how sometimes we see something really important happen that doesn't impact us but changes someone else's whole world.

mendacious said...

wow.

good post!

Andria said...

Have you watched the new show Six Degrees? It's very much about this concept and I loved the pilot and highly recommend it. i think you'd dig it, especially in your current mood.