Thursday, September 14, 2006

Sad Mac

For those of you who are PC/Windows users, you can't possibly know the fear inspired by the appearance of the Sad Mac. The Sad Mac is the agent of ultimate destruction in the Mac universe - the CyberAngel of Death, if you will. And today at work, the Sad Mac descended on my computer in the form of a blank gray screen. Despite attempts to revive from the startup disk, the Sad Mac persisted in the form of a red error message that the Mac Pro told me indicated a hard drive problem.

Unfortunately, our backup system has been down since we've been in the new office. Meaning I've potentially lost everything since May. The Mac Pro told me that data recovery was "ify" but I overnighted my little eMac to him anyway. It was all too reminicent of the Sex & the City episode where Carrie's Mac crashes and the tech guy says, "You saw the Sad Mac? That's bad." And, like me, she had no backup. But unlike me, she had great Manolo Blahnik shoes to ease her pain.

6 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

OH NO! I felt so bad for Carrie in that episode, and now I feel so bad for you. I really, really hope it can be fixed!

Andria said...

That's horrible! Can I sound like your mother for a second, though and ask: how could you not have anything backed up. . since MAY?! really? Oh girl, that's so painful! I'm wincing! Have you really been in the new office since then? time flies. .We recently had backup issues at work, too (an error we found was consistent in all the back ups -- we could not find a clean version without the error, because we didn't back it up properly in the early stages) eventually we worked through it and I hope that yours works out for you and turns that frown upside down!

ashley said...

We've been after my boss about the backup system. She relies too heavily on us to coordinate the tech stuff...and she's been wanting to get on an internet backup system...but it just hasn't happened. And, no, we haven't been in the office since May, but unfortunately, that seems to be the last uncorrupted backup.

Incidentally, L. & I talked on Monday about how my computer was acting strangely and that I should do a manual backup. I forgot.

It's like the day my mom told me we should get me a chicken pox vaccine before I went to college and two days later I had little pox all over my arm - the week before graduation.

penelope said...

You mean you don't back up?

Hee. Sorry. I hope they can turn your Mac's frown upside down, and soon.

ashley said...

Yes, Pen! I thought of that part of the episode where like three people are like, "You don't back up?" Agh. And I think that computer crashing evokes one of those universally recognizable reactions - like how you can identify surprise or pain or fear across cultures. It looks like face in hands, mouth agape and then "No...no no no noooo!"

Andria said...

My boss told me a story about watching a man hurl a computer across 3 desks (with people sitting at them) after his computer crashed. It was back in the day when he was writing code and the guy had like 45 days worth of code he'd been working on for a program without backing it up! I truly hope you can get your work back!