Thursday, September 21, 2006

Skinny Is As Skinny Does

Dear Dame Fashion:
I see that you have conspired with your vile henchmen to bring back another fashion trend that most of us would rather you hadn't. While I quite enjoy the new Gap commercial with Audrey Hepburn lauding the skinny pants, slick marketing isn't going to make the skinny pants any more palatable. Or wearable for the vast majority of women. Especially those hoping that the moniker "skinny" is a description of the pants' effect and not their required shape. You see the skinny pants go hand in hand (or legs in pants, if you will) with a skinny body. But I don't have a skinny body. I have a set of hips. And some junk in the trunk. So even though you'll be swaddling all the unrealistically skinny mannequins with skinny pants from here to Calcutta, I'm going to pass. I don't enjoy looking like an ice cream cone. I'd rather eat one. Which is why me and the skinny pants just aren't going to work out. See you next season.

XO,
Ash

4 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

I went shopping last weekend, and I was so distraught that I had to call my sister. Not only do we have skinny pants and leggings in the stores, but we have SUEDE VESTS. WTF?!?

ashley said...

Oooh. I didn't know vests were back. Vests. Yuck. I remember being a hardcore vest fan during my early high school years. (Ugh. Should I be admitting that I wore vests that late in my adolescence?)

penelope said...

Suede vests, ew! I used to wear vests, also in my late adolescence. I believe it was actually trendy, and you know I'm a trendsetter. Ahem. CUTTING EDGE.

Those damn skinny jeans. It's going to be a bad (i.e. non-existent) shopping season for me, I predict.

ashley said...

It's also maddening when they bring back a trend like this that makes women rush out and wear things they shouldn't. And you know the fashionistas just sit back and cut them to ribbons and wonder why people look so heinous. It's because THIS is what you gave us to work with!