Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Missing the Boat

Every once in awhile, despite my love of celebrity gossip, the latest trends, and jumping onto bandwagons, I miss something that becomes a pop culture phenomenon. I was thinking about this recently because a friend of my loaned me the first season of Showtime's recently-cancelled show Huff. It won Emmys! It has Blythe Danner in it! It was edgy and cool! Now I'm into it, but it's over already.

And because I find TBS very funny, I've been watching "Everbody Loves Raymond", a show I admit I never once laid eyes on when it held a prime-time spot. It's a very good show. But it's over. "Sex & the City"? Caught up with it in Season 6, Part I. Now I have the box set. And although I haven't watched it, I understand that "Arrested Development" is fabulous. I feel a bit guilty that I didn't watch it and support its existence, leaving it to wither and die on the the prime-time schedule.

Then there are those shows that I miss out on altogether. As in I am missing the part of the brain that these shows communicate wtih. Now, I know I'll be heckled for the following admissions, but here goes. I never really watched "Seinfeld." I catch it from time to time in reruns, but it just doesn't do for me what it does for other people. And I feel the same way about..."The Simpsons." It makes me a little sad sometimes, like I'm outside the context of my generation. I've tried to watch "The Simpsons." But I just don't get what other people get out of it.

Also, while I'm on a roll with times I've missed the boat, I confess I've never seen Pulp Fiction. Anytime now, I fully expect someone to revoke my membership in this generation.

Anyone else missing the boat on something?

6 cat calls:

Megs said...

Just so you don't feel alone:

I don't watch the Simpsons and I don't think Seinfeld is funny, so I never watched that either.

I really, really wanted to leave the theater when I saw Pulp Fiction, but the much hipper people around me made me stay.

Thomas and I watch everything on box set because we have no cable. I'm catching up on Northern Exposure more than 10 years after its release.

But you must stop watching Everybody Loves Raymond!!! It is bad and full of stereotypes about marriage that concern me.

penelope said...

Ooo, no Seinfeld? I'm having trouble breathing right now...

I miss the boat on every show that's ever on HBO or Showtime. Yay for Netflix! I still couldn't name any song by The Spice Girls (although maybe that's a good thing) because I ignored them deliberately and thoroughly. And...

I confess:

When Harry Potter started to get really popular, I was annoyed and avoided the books completely. I didn't read any until my friend Jamie bought me the first three for Christmas in 2001. It's appalling, but true.

P.S. You can borrow Pulp Fiction and AD seasons 1&2 any time.

Andria said...

Sometimes I get the Simpsons or Seinfeld, but it's hit or miss. Greg likes Simpsons because of all the allusions and references to other things; he thinks it's a smart show in that sense, but maybe the references are more male-oriented? He likes South Park, too. And Pulp Fiction. I remember I was highly appalled by it as well at first. I've seen a few episodes of AD and I wasn't hooked, especially for all of the hype. Do you watch the Office? I haven't, but think it would be funny.
I use the summers to catch up on shows I missed during the normal season, like Veronica Mars was last summer and this summer I'm catching up on Grey's Anatomy and House.
You know I'm just jumping on the HP bandwagon this summer, too with the impetus Niki gave me by sending me the first book last summer claiming I needed to up to date on the children's literature if I was going to have a child!
I haven't done the HBO shows either like Sopranos, Sex or 6 Feet Under. No West Wing, or CSI's either.
Ok, sorry this was so long!

ashley said...

West Wing is one of those bandwagons I jumped on. You can catch reruns of it on Bravo. They have marathon Mondays starting at 6 or 7. It's a smart and surprisingly funny show. I heart Josh.

And I confess, I actually didn't catch up with HP until well after Goblet came out and read them all for the first time the summer before grad school.

Yes, Megs, "Everybody Loves..." is full of people arguing over every little thing. But you know, while you're watching dinner, it's not bad entertainment.

Jennifer Walter said...

What haven't I "missed the boat" on?
I've never had HBO, so no Sopranos
and no Sex in the City (until Sex came on TBS).
I didn't start watching Felicity until the last season. So a couple of years ago I went into hermit mode every night until I had watched all of the reruns on the WE channel.
I had never watched Scrubs until I met my husband. It's great and so is The Office - I highly recommend it.
I think maybe Seinfeld, Simpsons, and South Park are just a guy thing. I've tried and I just don't get it. Plenty of guys that I know just love it.
As far as Mr. Potter goes...I stopped reading after the first book. No reason in particular...I just didn't get hooked. I've seen the movies though. Which is surprising considering I always seem to miss the boat on movies too. What's Pulp Fiction?! ;)

Anonymous said...

I never see shows when they first come on. I blame it partially on the fact that I haven't had cable for the last five years and partially on the fact that I am just too impatient to wade through all of the crap on TV and find what's good.

I'm currently in the middle of finally watching Sex and the City. My Netflix queue has been overtaken by it. I'm on season five now and totally hooked. I also started watching Grey's Anatomy compliments of Netflix.

To make you feel better, I didn't see any of the Star Wars movies until I was 21. And while I find them mildly amusing, I never got hooked on The Simpsons or Seinfeld, either.