Sunday, August 20, 2006

Bad Car-ma

I've had the new car for approximately 36 hours. In that time, I've encountered the following:

1) A 1.5% increase in the interest rate I was initially offered because of my "thin credit file" (i.e. I do not own a house). I find this to be just one more instance in which single people are sadly discriminated against. I'm sorry...I am a single income family. I sweated and worried over buying this car, and I'm being penalized because I don't own a house. This does not seem fair.

2) This afternoon, I stood in the driveway admiring the new car prior to leaving for my sister's house. And what did I notice? A dent. A dent in the front passenger side wheel well. A dent that said someone parked next to your debt-mobile just seconds before you signed your life away and threw open his car door and dented your brand new not even off the lot yet only has three miles on it car and NICKED THE PAINT. Needless to say I am sick to death. My parents say that since I accepted the car and drove it off the lot that Toyota no longer has liability. I will have to pay to have it fixed out of pocket.

3) I had zero access to a digital camera in order to post pictures. But I will. As soon as I can.

4) It rained today all over the shiny newly washed car. According to my parents, this is the first time it has rained in weeks.

In summary, my new car didn't even stay a pristine new car for a whole day. Is this a sign of things to come? Should I expect the CD changer to accept and then destroy the first six CDs I put into it? Or have I served out my penance for whatever it was I did to deserve this bad car-ma in the first place?

4 cat calls:

mendacious said...

oh but see the car is now loved and it has a story. for cars to stay pristine sort of resists the meta-narrative of their lives. i say it's a good start.

ashley said...

Yes...and perhaps if it had stayed perfect for too long, it would've given me a complex. I might've turned into one of those people who's all "Don't eat in the car!" "Don't drink in the car!" Instead, I can be me. Sad, slovenly, untidy me.

Anonymous said...

I kind of had the same reaction. It was actually sort of a relief the first time I scratched my car, because I stopped worrying so much about messing it up and didn't feel so nervous driving it. There was something very scary to me about driving a brand new car. At this point, I've managed to get all sorts of scratches and dents all over my car, but I just tell myself that it gives it character. :)

Andria said...

I agree with Jenn -- getting that first scratch or ding out of the way, really helps you settle into it and relax and enjoy the car. You can't stress about the insane instant depreciation and enjoy the pristine newness at the same time; it's one or the other, unfortunately.