Monday, August 28, 2006

This Morning on "Grace" Street

Last night before going to bed, I had it all planned. Throw all the things I needed for work into a tote to enable me to carry the rotting trash downstairs in one trip. I made it down two flights before one of my shoes or feet or the steps faltered. In one of those slow-motion moments, I dropped my keys, possibly the trash and landed hard on my butt/lower back with a loud "OOF!" I think I might've knocked the breath out of myself. And landed badly on my hip or leg. Anyway. The point is that I felt old and clumsy, had a little bit of that foul smelling garbage juice on me and I may crush and juice about 20 ibuprofen. Ouch.

9 cat calls:

Ruby said...

Did you do the look around and see who might have seen you?!

I had tumble on my way to class one day. I spilled my coke, ripped the knee of my jeans, had my bookbag fly over and hit me in the head and all I could think was "Did anyone see me?"

Andria said...

ok, you girls have me crying, I'm laughing so hard. Thanks! ;) It's always more amusing to be able to retell the story, rather than have someone actually witness it, though!

on a side note, my word verification is eelsfnc. I don't know what c stands for but the eels are fn it!

ashley said...

No one saw me because I fell inside the house, but I did worry that one of my neighbors would come out and try and help me, which is always more embarrassing.

Megan, your story reminds me of my first day at Berry. It was raining and I slipped on a storm drain, feel in a heap and bent my umbrella. I knew about 4 people on campus at that point - and who should be standing right there but Nate Chenoweth. It was horrifying really.

P.S. My ankle really hurts today! Smash lives!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Hope that your ankle feels better. I think the most painful part might be the garbage juice-yuck!

My most memorable fall happened in middle school. I had decided to (briefly) lock my sister out of the house (yes, it was mean--my sister and I were constantly bickering and fighting in those days), and I was dancing around the kitchen in socks (with the music really loud, pretending that I couldn't hear her knocking on the door). While dancing, I slipped on the floor, sprained my ankle, and had to crawl to the door to beg my sister for help. In the days following that incident, I had the pleasure of explaining to people why I was using crutches.

mendacious said...

i'm having anxiety now about you falling and that poor old woman in the picture- i hope you both recover and that someone is there to love you and give you drugs.

penelope said...

That is fantastic. One time in fifth grade math class I was doing that tip your chair back and lean thing that all the teachers periodically warned us against, and of course I fell. It happened occasionally, and you usually got laughed at for it. Well, this time my math teacher, Mr. Mahon was ready. As I lay sprawled on the floor in a sad little heap looking up at all the mocking faces, he crouched down into an umpire pose and yelled "SAFE!"

Anyway, hope your bruises aren't too bad.

Kim said...

Will you heal in time to be crazy for fitness? If not, I'll carry you, piggy-back style, to see the belligerent juggler for the last time of the season.

Both my bad falls were spa related. I wonder if that means anything?

ashley said...

I will power through - just for you, Kim. Man, I'd forgotten about your spa falls. That ice-related one was utterly fantastic.

Jennifer Walter said...

I fell down the steps in my parents garage last year. I had my hands shoved in the pockets of my coat. I ended up with a bruised cheek and scraped up my face, shoulder, and knee. All the old people came up to me church the next Sunday..."I'm so sorry. I've fallen down the stairs, too." It made me feel like the lady in your picture.