Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Best Leak Ever : Downgrade

Just the other night, I was looking at the wall in my living room. It endured some storm damage during Hurricane Fran (before my time) and there's one particular spot high up close to the ceiling that still bears watermarks and bad caulking. I asked J. if he thought it was getting worse. We craned our necks, tried to pretend we could see well enough in the dim light from the fixture and deemed it stable.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room, the little corner that endured storm damage from Isabel (Charley? I can't remember) and had to be repaired was apparently slowly gathering its water. I didn't even notice the patch starting to discolor and the edges pulling away. Tonight, I started hearing a ticking noise, which I dismissed as Kudzu doing something he wasn't supposed to. After yelling from the couch several times for him to stop, I finally stood up and assumed a threatening pose. But he was sitting under the computer chair, quite innocently. And then I noticed. Now it's dripping into a trashcan, which I'm pretty sure will fill up any time now. I can't wait for the repairman to come and move everything out of that corner, forget to put down plastic, drip caulk all over my things and leave a fine sheen of sanded sheetrock over my whole apartment.

5 cat calls:

Karima said...

I had a leak that turned into "it will only take 5 minutes to fix this"......2 days and several home depot trips later, it was repaired. Good luck.

penelope said...

Oh dear. That is a definite downgrade.

Isn't it funny how all the minor hurricanes blend together into one long windy day off from work?

Kim said...

I can pretty much guarantee you that the second patch was not caused by Isabel, because I was in your house during that particular non-storm, and it was so lame that we turned the lights off and played board games just so we could PRETEND the power had gone out. Considering that we almost had to beat up an old lady in Walmart to get the last flashlight, it was pretty lame...

ashley said...

Well, I just talked to my landlord, and I have been reminded that this leakage is the result of some sort of back up in the AC system's drainage. Which explains the icky yellow color of the water and the lovely musty smell. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Not good! I hope they're able to fix it soon (and without it being a huge pain for you).