Friday, August 18, 2006

Honk If You Like to Scare Single Women!

Dear Tractor Trailer Drivers of America:
I recognize your right to be on the highways and byways of the country, delivering all sorts of things to wherever it is they need to go. I appreciate it, even, because I know that some of your are bringing tasty cookies to my nearby grocery store or a load of those soft heathered T-shirts I love to Target. However, please do not honk at me unless you think you're going to hit me and therefore think I am in mortal danger.

I am a 20-something woman riding alone in a small car. I have an overpronounced paranoia about being kidnapped while traveling. I do not need you to ride up on my bumper and honk at me in order to get my attention because...well, because I'm a woman. Because, let's face it. Most of the time you can't even really see me when you're doing the honking. I could be less attractive than your grandma. And even if I am attractive to you, where do you see this going? Do you think I'm going to gesture to you to pull over so that we can get to know each other better in the median? Do you think I'm carrying a ready made "Call Me" sign that I can just paste up on the window? This attraction is fleeting at best.

Frankly, some of you really scare the crap out of me. Like you two charming fellows today who tried to catch my eye by riding right next to me in the left lane, speeding up and slowing down as I did. Honking and waving. I didn't even turn my blinker on when I got off at my habitual bathroom/Diet Coke/gas exit because I was afraid I would tip you off, and you would follow. And my gas-station-bathroom-abduction nightmare would come true.

By all means, carry on with your delivery of goods and materials to the lower-48. But please, save the honking for when you're truly afraid of jack-knifing or obliterating my Corolla from the face of the planet - not when you're truly afraid you're going to miss a love connection on I-20.

Honks & Waves,
Ashley

4 cat calls:

Niki said...

so glad to hear this happens to someone else! i mean, not really, but now i feel validated. last time i drove from va to ga i got honked at five times in 7.5 hours. jeff refused to believe it was because they were "hitting" on me and asked whether my brake light was out, whether i had a flat tire, etc.

Anonymous said...

This happens to me a lot, too. Sometimes I find it creepy, and sometimes I just get really annoyed.

ashley said...

I guess sometimes it's just because they're bored. But I'm the kind of person who calls someone when I stop to get gas and again when I get back in the car. I do not need anyone to increase my paranoia.

Andria said...

This is really funny to me. I know what you mean, but I can't say I've had it happen quite as regularly. But a comment on your ready-made sign; I've often wanted to make signs that you could hold up while driving -- things like, "It's called a friggin' Blinker, buddy" or "Turn off your stinking blinker, pal!" or "You have a child in the car, for God's sake can you please put your make-up on before you get in the car?!" but that one might not be legible or as effective when I'm flashing by the swerving mini-van, so I do need to condense. Maybe just "Blinker" for both those that refuse to use it and those that seem oblivious to it still flashing. Anyway, just thought I'd share.