Monday, October 23, 2006

Spare Me 60 Seconds for Studio 60

Dear NBC Studio Execs:
Please be like Jordan McDeere. Please understand that not all of us want to watch 17 hours straight of reality television - with all due respect to those who do. But please, NBC, I've heard the rumblings. I knows you've been making cuts and that my dear Studio 60 hasn't been holding up in the ratings. But, please, I beg you. Don't axe it.

Take a look around at the brilliant but cancelled shows that litter the past few years - Arrested Development. People wish that was still on TV. They campaign for it to be back on television. There are tshirts for that!! And they'll wish this was on TV if you snatch it away from us all. Because it's smart. It's funny. It's entertainment that isn't spoon-fed drivel.

And Sarah Paulson? She's amazing. She knocks my socks off. The whole cast is fantastic. It's fantastic, thoughtful acting. The way The West Wing portrayed the president we long for, Studio 60 shows a side of Hollywood we hope for - the side with a brain.

I was a little desperate when I heard the rumors, and my friend Kim looked it up and told me it's in the top 20 podcast downloads. See? See there? The rich people with the iPods are loving your show. Then I read an article that suggested people aren't interested because they don't have anything in common with the high-powered studio execs portrayed on the show. Like I've got so much in common with the ladies of Wisteria Lane. Or the detectives on CSI. And frankly, I don't have enough money to buy Manolo Blahniks - probably never will - but I love Sex & the City with all my heart.

The only thing I need to have in common with this show is we need to be together on Monday nights at 10. Seriously. This is my return to network television. Don't let me down. Pretty please? Pretty please with sugar on top?

XO,
Ash

P.S. Did I mention how much I love Bradley Whitford?

4 cat calls:

Andria said...

I'm with you, girl. Greg & I have really gotten hooked and think it's probably the best new show this season. I hope they don't take it away.

Kim said...

Uh oh, dude. Don't go there with the Arrested Development comparisons. Because at least your show is still ON to enjoy! Sniff! Sniff!

Wouldn't you know, I like only one show in the course of about five years, and it is cancelled immediately. This is why I have no Nielsen box.

penelope said...

OMG!!! This is so depressing. I so hope it's not true. :(

ashley said...

I haven't heard that they're going to cancel the show - yet. I just heard the ratings had fallen since the premiere. But these days, shows seem to have zero time to find their audience before they get canned. I'm scared. :(