Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Autumn: The Album

For me, the arrival of Halloween and the passing of daylight savings mark that point in time when fall is no longer this nebulous oncoming season but a fully emerged time of year. And some songs simply seem to capture this time of year better than others. In light of fall's full-fledged arrival and because I'll be spending an indecent amount of time in the car this weekend, I put together a little fall collection. I may catch some criticism for some of these choices, but for whatever reason, these were the songs that said fall to me this October:

1. Sparks (Coldplay)
2. Angel (Matt Nathanson)
3. Foolish Games (Jewel)
4. Everybody Hurts (R.E.M.)
5. Wait (Sarah McLachlan)
6. Just Another (Pete Yorn)
7. Falling in Love (Lisa Loeb)
8. All My Friends (Counting Crows)
9. Quite Often (Trent Dabbs)
10. Pictures of You (The Cure)
11. As I'm Leaving (David Gray)
12. New York State of Mind (Billy Joel)
13. Stop This Train (John Mayer)
14. Girl (Tori Amos)
15. The Awakening (Jennifer Nettles Band)
16. Cathedrals (Jump, Little Children)

2 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

i literally have no idea who you are, but i find it quite obscure that you selected Coldplay's "Sparks" and i'll tell you why. i've lately been listening to coldplay songs i usually don't listen to and i've found that Sparks is a ridiculously good song. is it not odd that Sparks would be the song i'm enjoying as of late, and that you selected it for your autumn album? craaaazaaaay.

ashley said...

Indeed. I played the Parachutes album incessantly my first fall in grad school. And I loved "Sparks" - it just makes me think of fall and my first apartment.