Saturday, October 21, 2006

Christmas Comes Early

I find it interesting when artists choose to record a Christmas album. Not so much the pop stars who are churning out holiday covers just in time for the tweens to snatch up during Yuletide (NKOTB Christmas, anyone?). But every once in awhile, someone unexpected makes a Christmas album - Jewel's holiday collection is fabulous.

And while checking out the goings-on of some of my favorite artists, I discovered that Sarah McLachlan has a holiday album out called Wintersong. It includes a cover of Joni Mitchell's "River" - and, really, who better to cover that track? Although the Indigo Girls did a pretty wonderful cover of it some years back. Also, who could resist Sarah McLachlan singing "Happy Xmas (War is Over)"?

I have a strict no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving rule, but I might have to break it for the love of Sarah. This album marks her first new music since Afterglow in 2003 - and possibly the shortest time between two albums ever. She could release a compilation of children's classics, and I'd go buy it.

1. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
2. What Child Is This? (Greensleeves)
3. River
4. Wintersong
5. I'll Be Home For Christmas
6. O Little Town Of Bethlehem
7. The First Noel/Mary Mary
8. Silent Night
9. Song For A Winter's Night
10. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
11. In A Bleak Mid-Winter
12. Christmas Time Is Here

4 cat calls:

ashley said...

Hmm. I was so excited about this, I just went on Amazon and purchased it. And then got caught up in looking at other artists I like and bought 4 other CDs. Reviews forthcoming, kids.

penelope said...

I'm getting this for sure. I used to play Song for a Winter's Night on repeat over and over and over and over. Love it.

ashley said...

Hey, Pen, do you think she looks weirdly like Bruce & Demi's kid Rumor on this cover? I think it's the chin. I don't know...she doesn't quite look herself.

Anonymous said...

Please do let us know how this is. . . I think I'll definitely be buying it!