Sunday, October 22, 2006

Bed Bugs

While trying to nap this afternoon, I could hear Kudzu speeding around the apartment, scrabbling against the wooden floor. I thought he'd just been overcome by an attack of the cat crazies, as he often does when I'm ready to sleep. The phone began to ring, and at that moment, Kudzu leapt onto the nightstand. I sat up to see what brought on this uncharacteristic behavior and found a large locust perched beside the alarm clock. At least 2 1/2 inches long.

Kudzu pawed at it, sending it into the blinds. He nimbly jumped on the sill and neatly snatched the bug by its hindquarters. I, of course, screamed and ran into the other room. At this very moment, he's waiting patiently for the locust to emerge from behind the wardrobe. (And I am watching from the safety of the couch.) I know it's still alive. And now I have that horrible creepy feeling like after you watch the bug tunnel scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I think I'm going to have to abandon the house for awhile. If I find that thing in one of my shoes tomorrow, there will be hell to pay.

4 cat calls:

ashley said...

I am pleased to report the Kudzu, the Mighty Locust Slayer, did kill the bug while I was having coffee with Tom. And luckily, he left it right out in the open so that I could scoop it into a box and throw it away. Close call, though.

mendacious said...

and to think that's food in some countries.. on a stick no less. well i guess chocolate can make anything good right? i mean that's what they tell me but i have my limits.

ashley said...

Ugh. I can't imagine thinking that bug would taste good. I thought you couldn't make chocolate sound bad, but chocolate bugs - ick.

Anonymous said...

This is one more reason why I must get a cat. Now.