Thursday, October 26, 2006

King of Hearts

Stephen King beat me to it. The prolific horror writer has tapped into his softer side and is releasing a book call Lisey's Story - a romance with a supernatural edge. The Boston Globe panned it, and I have to wonder who King thought would be the reader for his latest novel. Certainly his core audience isn't going to be interested in a romance - however supernatural it might be - as from all accounts this book is strictly devoid of King's usual fright and gore. And, I'm not sure that I, devoted fan of the romance novel, would want to read King's take on the genre. Also, King dedicates the book to his wife, Tabitha, and as the Globe review suggests, may draw heavily on their relationship as fodder for the book's romance. You can read an excerpt here. I wonder if it will have a cover like this - if so, I hope they use King as the cover model.

4 cat calls:

penelope said...

If only they had used Stephen King last night in the photo shoot instead of Fabio!!! Eegad, I think that's an excellent idea for the next ANTM cycle. Paging Jay Manuel...

Anonymous said...

I think the old boy could publish a supernatural cookbook and people would buy it. Or, at least, some pub. company would give him a mil as an advance.

Matt said...

Actually, the New York Times actually liked it, a bit.

Kim said...

Oh, Pen, I was going to say the same thing and you got there first! Now I am left with no funny joke... sigh!

Also, Matt Tullis, why don't you ever write me anymore? Is it because you hate me?