Tuesday, October 03, 2006

On a Musical Note

I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. ... I get most joy in life out of music. - Albert Einstein

I go through phases in life where I'm more or less attached to music. Sometimes I listen to the radio with general indifference, but then I enter a phase - like now - where I have to have music on every second of every day or the silence is deafening.

I remember when I was little, my dad used to play his guitar sometimes at night. He usually played old country tunes like "Tennessee Waltz" or "Frankie & Johnnie." He was completely self-taught on a guitar he bought at a pawn shop, and I have always wished I'd inherited even a trace of his musical ear. As I got older there was my sister, six years older than me, who shaped my early music tastes with the tapes she'd let me listen to while she was at school - Madonna, Wham! and Michael Jackson.

And when I first got my CD player, I only had 5 CDs that I listened to endlessly including Counting Crows' August & Everything After, Dave Matthews Band's Under the Table & Dreaming and Sarah McLachlan's Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. And from there, the collection grew and expanded. Tastes changed. Friends introduced new songs, new bands. And now I've amassed a fair collection of music. Most of which has profound meaning to me, whether in its lyrics or its connection to the past.

I love how some songs are irrevocably tied to moments in my life, and no matter when I hear them, I am transported back to that moment. "Africa" by Toto makes me think of going to the park, eating bologna and cheese sandwiches and listening to WRFC 960 AM in my mom's gray Oldsmobile with the plushy red seats. Other songs simply give me a certain feeling when I hear them - Tori Amos' "Putting the Damage On" can make me cry at the drop of a hat and David Gray's "Twilight" makes me want to go downtown and sit in a dark bar. And then there are songs that I only want to listen to under certain conditions. Like "One" by U2 and "Don't Dream It's Over" by Crowded House are best listened to when it's raining at the change of season and cold like the beginning of winter or spring.

I was telling Kim today that I wanted to make an autumn mix, with songs from This Desert Life (an inherently fallish album) and "As I'm Leaving" by David Gray. And we talked about how the songs that came out our first year of grad school make us think of fall - like "Clint Eastwood" by the Gorillaz and "Start the Commotion" by The Wiseguys. Which led me into thinking about songs that make me think of the grad school years like "Tiny Dancer" and "Sex Machine" - two songs played so relentlessly on the juke box at Cedars, I'm surprised I still like them. And "Teenage Wasteland" - (which Kim & I decided is a spring song) makes both of us feel like we're going somewhere important. Like Krispy Kreme.

I'm fond, too, in my solitude, of thinking, "If my life were a movie, what song would be playing right now?" When Kim was in town, we were all sitting at the bar, and "Here Comes the Sun" started playing and it seemed like the end of the movie when the camera is panning out from the characters and the credits start to roll and you know everything's going to work out just fine.

Ah, music. How you move me.

4 cat calls:

penelope said...

Hold me closer, Tony Danza. Or Allan Gurganus, whichever. Those were the days.

V. pretty post... There are some CDs that make me feel like my heart is being ripped right out. And yet if in the right mood, I can listen over and over again.

ashley said...

I think I might just start making mixed CDs by subject. I did make a CD once whose whole point was to induce me into gut-wrenching sobs. Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to post the playlist to that one.

Also, I'm thinking about stealing Tom's idea and putting together a life soundtrack...

Andria said...

ah, music. Sarah's "I will remember you" will forever make me think of high school graduation. I associate certain music with certain people, not just events. Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic" will make me think of Chad McSwain and Homecoming. Chad is also "Fire & Rain" and do you remember Mr. Phillips singing "I want you to want me. . " for the talent show one year? I see now where your obsession started and why I associate Crows and Sarah with you, but Tori is more Jenn to me. Jenray is a huge R.E.M. fan, so I think of her. Indigo Girls makes me think of Niki and also a college roommate whose CD I listened to endlessly. A different roommate is Fiona Apple and Canon in D, odd combo, but then, she was odd. Beastie Boyz? Leigh Ann, riding to a high school football game. Snoop is forever oddly linked to Josh. It's funny how I think a lot of us think about a movie of our life. . I like the soundtrack idea. I want to see that playlist.

ashley said...

You know, recently, I heard "California" and it made me think Josh & Greg & Mrs. Marshall's class. I'm sure Mrs. Marshal was big Tupac fan. And of course, I remember Chad singing "Fire & Rain." Ha ha.