Sunday, November 18, 2007

He Said/She Said/They Said: Company Retreat Version

At dinner Friday night

Me: "It reminds me of Max Headroom."

The rest of the dinner table: "Who?"

Me: "Max Headroom? He was...wait. How old are you guys?"

A chorus of 22s and 23s.

____________
Standing outside of a very chic shoe store in Savannah.

Possible Connection Person: I wish...I wish I could stomach spending that much for shoes. They were really cute.

Me: Yeah, me, too.

Possible Connection Person: Sometimes I hate being so responsible.
____________
On the elevator

ATown Coworker (to The Rockstar): "Hey did you know you're the only single guy at the firm?"

The Rockstar: I guess I'd never thought about it...

Me: What about (ATL coworker)?

The Rockstar: Well, um...yeah. I mean. He's...he's single. But he doesn't like girls."

(How did I miss this??)
_____________

At lunch at Lady & Sons, Paula Deen's restaurant

ATL Coworker: I'm disappointed. I can't believe the menu. This food is so bad for you.

Me: Do you know who Paula Deen is?
____________
In the lobby, preparing to depart and a female coworker from ATL who sat with me at breakfast approaches. She holds out one arm.

Her: Hey, Ashley!

Me (leaning in slightly awkwardly to hug her): It was great to meet you this weekend.

Her: Um, yeah. I was hoping you could take me and my husband to the airport.

Oops, I hugged a coworker.
___________
Yesterday out shopping, we run into one of the two owners of the company. The rest of the crowd with me goes into the Marc Jacobs store. I stand on the sidewalk talking to The Boss.

The Boss: We sure are glad you joined the company.

Me: Thank you. I'm excited to be here.

(I know for certain this is at least the sixth time I've had this conversation with him.)
____________
Friday night at the 80s prom

ATown Coworker: You say you're an introvert, but I'll never believe you after tonight.

Me: Liking to dance and liking people are two very different things.

5 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

This post is FANTASTIC. And I love the last one. . . I completely understand what you mean. I can't mingle with people to save my life (and if I manage to fake it, I'm secretly in misery), but on the dance floor, I am totally everyone's best friend.

These little tidbits really help paint a great picture of your weekend. Can't wait to see those prom pics!

Kim said...

Accidentally hugging co-workers is THE WORST. I did that like six times the day I left work to prepare for my wedding. I think they only hugged back because they were embarrassed for me.

Cue said...

I have that accidental hugging problem, too. I think I almost hugged someone after an interview once -- meaning, after they were interviewing me for a job. Now that can't be good.

daisy said...

LOVE IT.

(And I have had the Max Headroom problem before. Max Headroom just does not translate to the youngin's. Sigh...)

Kurt said...

Best post ever.