Friday, November 16, 2007

Moment of Acceptance

Right now, I am sitting alone in a hotel room with a king-sized bed on the sixth floor that overlooks the Savannah River. Right now, darkness is squeezing the last of the color down to the horizon so that the skyline is black as charcoal against the blush of pink. Right now, I am looking down at a river, flowing fast past old buildings, new buildings, boats docked at its edge. Right now, there is a bridge in the distance. Right now is a very odd reflection of my old life looking back at me. And fittingly enough, I am on the other side of the Savannah from the city...so it really is like looking at my old life across the Cape Fear from a different vantage point.

Earlier, I sat in a meeting where people said "we" a lot. And about halfway through, I realized that I'm included in that we. I am part of the we. I am a cog in this machine. I stand under their umbrella. And when they talk about the company as a family, they consider me part of that tree. At first, it was odd. And then someone said something funny, and I got it because, after three months, I finally sort of understand how we work. And I laughed and looked around me, and thought, Okay.

That's all...just...right now...okay.

2 cat calls:

Cue said...

Well said, and beautifully described. And also, I get what you're saying about those moments that reflect something back, something we can't necessarily articulate but that we recognize. "Okay" makes a lot of sense to me.

Andria said...

"okay" sounds like you're moving in the right direction.

I know the view you have well; i can see the buildings, the river, the bridge. I love watching the huge barges pass by - very surreal and makes you feel like the earth is moving, they are so large and so close. I'm sure it is odd to be on the other side, though. Perspective is an intriguing thing.