Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Choose Your Own Adventure: The Blessing and The Curse

My favorite choose your own adventure book was about searching the pyramids for treasure. At best, you ended up with the Pharaoh's riches; at worst, you ended up trapped in a dead-end tomb with no escape. But the best thing about ending up in that tomb with no escape was that you could simply go back to the beginning of the book, try harder not to lose your map and your flashlight, take the right tunnel instead of the left, and at least walk out unscathed. Over and over, you could choose until you found the right permutation of choices to achieve the best possible ending.

Perhaps it's this early love of revisionist choices that cripples me now. It's not so easy to go back to the beginning of the story and retool the choices to configure a better ending. There are professional, financial and personal implications for every "do-over." The threads of life get all tangled up during the criss crossing.

And yet, today, I was reminded on more than one occasion that choose your own adventure is still possible. The implications are there, yes. But if I shift my focus away from the details of what will happen, I realize that I can go back - or go forward - and find the right ending. I realized that I'm in the incredibly lucky position to have a supporting cast of characters at the ready, whichever way I choose. So that even if I end up in the dead-end tomb, there will be people who love me, who support me, who will have a flashlight handy to lead us out of the dark. And now that I know the ending, the curse of trying to determine how we'll get there.

5 cat calls:

Cue said...

Well said!! I completely agree -- and man, I used to love those books. =) I think it's one of the lesser-acknowledged secrets of life that no matter how fucked up things get, there's always another choice. I know from experience that you can hit bottom and still kick off to find the surface again, and I don't mean that in a Pollyanna way at all. You're so right that the option to shift focus and make a different choice is always there, and there's some solace that comes with knowing that.

Kurt said...

I haven't heard of choose your own adventure books. Do they explain how to pay for the adventure?

mendacious said...

i like that. that's comforting to me as well and i should dare to look at my life in so positive a way. you also have friends of friends who will take you with them to central america or france. don't forget that.

Anonymous said...

"Look at every path closely and deliberately, then ask ourselves this crucial question: Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good. If it doesn't, it is of no use."
-Carlos Castaneda

ashley said...

Andrea - It is the best place to be when you're stuck in limbo to know that either way, you'll be okay.

Kurt - I'm afraid not, but I think you could get the adventure for about $2.75

M - One day, I'll take you up on that trip.

Anon - Quite lovely. And something to ponder on...