Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ash's Must-See TV

While I'm not usually one for regularly scheduled programs, particularly the network fare, I find myself parking it in front of the boob tube on a regular basis these days. It's a commentary on the gripping life I lead...but you know, if you're looking for something to watch, and Pen's regularly scheduled programming hasn't let you to what you seek, check out these prime-time gems.

Monday - 8 p.m., GPTV, Antiques Roadshow
Okay, so I know it's kind of lame that I watch Antiques Roadshow with my parents every Monday. But it makes them happy and it appeals to my nerdy love of odd history and such. Plus, it's always a bonus when someone from the bowels of south Georgia comes up with a piece of pottery they bought for a quarter at a garage sale that's worth $20k. I'm getting really good at spotting which ones are going to be big-tickets.

Tuesday - 9 p.m., Fox, House
I love this show. I love this man - this odious, cynical, unjust, brilliant man. I want to be verbally and emotionally abused by Gregory House. I can't get enough of the wicked humor and quirky relationships on this show. (And I missed it tonight because I erroneously thought it was a rerun - egads!)

Wednesday, 10 p.m., Bravo, Project Runway
Tim Gunn alongside a cardboard box would entertain me. The fact that he's surrounded by 15 catty designing divas and the caricature-ish Michael Kors and Nina Garcia really ups the ante for me. Carry on!

Friday, 8 p.m., Men in Trees
Think of this show, now in its second season, as Northern Exposure meets Sex and the City. Other than the fact that I sometimes space out for a second or two thinking about how odd Anne Heche is in real life, I love her character Marin, a relationship coach jilted by her high-profile fiance who then retreats to Alaska. She hosts a radio show, and her monologue is often very Carrie Bradshaw-esque. The scenery is gorgeous and the supporting cast is equally charming - including Orlando Jones as a very persnickety gay man partnered by Mario Cantone of S&TC fame.

Friday, 9 p.m., Women's Murder Club
I know, I know. I virtually just assured myself a spot in the Single Cat Lady Hall of Fame with this admission. And Kim may no longer be my friend because the lead, Angie Harmon, just happens to be the sister of the sinister and much-hated Mark Harmon. (Ask her, she'll tell you the story.) But it's a good show. And it also features Rob Estes, who starred in the USA Network Original Series Silk Stalkings, of which I was a big fan. I never quite got over the death of his character Sgt. Chris Lorenzo, so I'm really just happy to see him alive.

Addendum: After consulting IMDB, I have discovered that Angie Harmon is actually no relation to Mark Harmon. Kim, consider yourself cleared to join the Women's Murder Club.

6 cat calls:

penelope said...

Future Netflix for me: Season 1 of Men in Trees? I never knew!

Also never knew that Angie was related to the nefarious Mark.

Fantastic summation. I love that you wish to be abused by House.

tempe & chris said...

Way to bust out with an old school favorite of mine...I loved Silk Stalkings! God, I thought I was the only person I knew that watched that show. I think I cried when Sgt. Lorenzo died. Seriously.

Also, you're maybe the 100th person I know to say how much they love "House." I should hop on the bandwagon. How many seasons have there been? I see a Netflix marathon in my future...

Kim said...

I didn't know they were related, either! Now that show is officially banned for life. BANNED!

mendacious said...

i also love the antiques roadshow. and i've become a convert appreciator of PRW. and while we're both trapped by the couch- how's that passport assignment coming! just in case you get the urge to go out of doors.

Andria said...

I LOVE House, too. It's so great. And, of course, Greg is a big fan, because he's so obnoxious. And shares his first name, perhaps? We never fully caught up on Season 1, but hopefully will get it for Christmas. It's been interesting this year with the new format.

I tried watching MIT in the beginning, but abandoned it, perhaps I jumped ship too soon...

I'm intrigued by the Women's Murder Club. Haven't even heard of it.

And I caught a few episodes of Project Runway over Thanksgiving and have now set Tivo. I figure I can read your post about the characters and catch up a bit. I didn't think I'd like it much because I'm not that into fashion and runway stuff is so over the top, but I love ANTM and I'm not really that into modeling.

Thanks for this post.

ashley said...

Tempe, you must watch House! It's in Season 3...and I still haven't seen all of Season 1. But...it's just soooo good.

And I love that you saw Silk Stalkings! I loved that show and I totally cried when Sgt. Lorenzo died. Remember how Sgt. Lance was finally pregnant with his baby?? And then he died??? I'm not over it. I'm just not over it...