Monday, November 26, 2007

Prom Night

I didn't go to my senior prom. It wasn't that I didn't want to go, but no one asked me. Don't feel too sorry for me though - Anna took pity on me and took me and Niki and Heather to Six Flags instead. All the same, I must admit that I was rather excited when I heard the work retreat would include an 80s prom. I mean...the opportunity to recapture a missing piece of my youth plus the greatness of the 80s? And it did not disappoint.

And so I do not disappoint you, dear readers, I give you this photo of me in action. The PROOF stamp obscures some of the greatness of my outfit from your view, but I believe you get the idea. I would like you to know the following: my mother made this dress; Anna wore it to her senior prom; no items were purchased; these are Anna's earrings and mine and Anna's jewelry salvaged from around the house; I am wearing a banana clip and false eyelashes; there is a bow WITH a rosette on my dress; the shoulder pads extended roughly two inches beyond my shoulders. Other highlights of the evening included:

* My immediate boss sporting a Top Gun flight suit

* A coworker's husband dressed as John Cusak from Say Anything, complete with a boombox that played "In Your Eyes" which he climbed on stage at one point to play - yes, aloft, over his head, Cusak-style

* My Big Boss sporting a mullet wig, black suit and gold bow tie

* An A-Town 80s cover band that rocked it

* An ATL coworker's spot-on dance performance to "Billie Jean" in his killer white Member's Only jacket

* A half-drunken group sing-along to "Total Eclipse of the Heart"

* The Violinist's unbelievably mad skills on the dance floor

* The Rock Star relenting after many drinks to hit the floor for a couple of songs

* The prom king graphic designer who was the spitting image of The Cure's Robert Smith

* Me, not having The Panic at the disco

6 cat calls:

Niki said...

did you say Top Gun flight suit? i don't even know where to begin. that makes me so happy.

80s prom rocks. i'll have to email you a picture of me at my 80s prom this summer! love the dress. love it.

mendacious said...

thats so funnY! i also never went to prom and i also relived it via 80's prom nite! so awesome. like fur shure. though i dressed like the militant punks sitting in the stands (ala PIP) but i got up and danced a few. that gold lamme- is well, golden!

penelope said...

i am in AWE!! all of it--just, wow.

tempe & chris said...

Love it all. The dress, the makeup, the beer in your hand. Love it ALL.

And I did go to our Senior Prom. Trust me; you had more fun at your work prom.

Kim said...

Hey, um, can I borrow that dress? I think if I fro my hair up real good, I could make a mean Diana Ross in that.

Greatest! Prom! Ever!

ashley said...

Thank you, thank you. I loved getting off the elevator just outside the very classy lounge area...everyone was staring at us. It was fabulous!