Sunday, November 04, 2007

Queasy Like Sunday Morning

I kind of hate Sundays. For as long as I can remember, I've experienced the Sunday Dread. Even when school or work wasn't particularly bad or daunting. It starts the moment I wake up on Sunday - the instant realization that the weekend is over. Which is silly, right, because there's still a whole day? But it doesn't matter. The Sunday Dread is setting in - the agonizing anticipation that tomorrow is Monday.

In college, and sometimes in Wilmywood, it was about loneliness. Growing up, Sundays were always a big family day at our house - lots of togetherness and eating. And it inevitably seemed like Sunday night in college and grad school was the time I ended up by myself and trying to wrap up all the studying I'd neglected or trying to get laundry done and dishes washed (or finish a story for workshop the next day...).

And I always eat really depressing things like cereal and cold pizza or stale crackers because that's all I can find. I never seem to have fun things to do on Sunday night - no parties or trips to the movies or shopping extravaganzas. Instead, the whole day progresses with an attitude of "I'm only doing this because I have to." Like being lead to the guillotine.

And while today, I had a visit from Justin, Eva and the Dilly Monster to spice up the afternoon, I still felt the malaise hanging over me. Thoughts about work left undone on Friday and meetings to come and just facing life again (which seems to be on hold on the weekends sometimes) made me enjoy the day just a little less. And I hate that - there's a part of me that says, "Carpe diem! You only have today! Live in the moment." But it's never as loud as the part of me that says back, "Yes, but if I do have tomorrow, it's Monday."

and just as a tiny side note, this is the 500th post - wow.

6 cat calls:

mendacious said...

many congratulations on this your 500th post! dynamite. you- kudzu- liven this wholeblog world with your presence.

(i just now felt the dread. french homework not done. shower not taken. sleep rapidly approaching. list not 1/2 complete. deep breathed sigh.)

Megs said...

I'm exactly the same way about Sunday. I hate it even more than Monday, which, you know, is just Monday and there's nothing you can do about it. Sunday is the day to dread Monday.

penelope said...

I never really liked Sundays, either. I don't mind them as much these days, but it seems like the whole world is just more gray and grouchier on Sundays.

This whole discussion reminds me of the movie Pollyanna.

Cue said...

I like Sundays for coffee and the New York Times, for the slow pace of laundry and figuring out food for the week ahead. But that may also be because I don't dread the Monday job this year... unlike most all years before. There's my consolation prize for becoming a career slacker. ;)

Kurt said...

Every day is Sunday at my house. Which is kind of a bad thing.

j. shelton said...

wow... i thought i was the only freak like that in america. by this time in our lives everyone hates mondays but sundays are something special. your whole days is ruined because the next day is monday.

damn it all.