Monday, November 12, 2007

On Mrs. Cleaver (or Why I Need a Wife)

Today at work, I was ridiculously busy. Which is not surprising, considering I put time in on both Saturday and Sunday to keep a project moving forward. I left the office at six, returned to the office "virtually" at 6:45 and left again at 8:30. But I still had a square meal - crab-stuffed tillapia, stir-fried vegetables, cous-cous. And when I go to bed, my sheets will be clean. Tomorrow, I'll put on freshly-laundered clothes.

These perks come with living at home. Mama kindly fixes dinner every night - and it's usually balanced and nutritious. And I confess - and here, I admit how very spoiled I've become - she packs my lunch. She does the laundry - and she's a fanatic about it. Even though she showed me how to use the new washing machine, she doesn't want me to use it. Because she likes the laundry done a certain way. If she goes to Wal-Mart, she calls to see if I need anything: shampoo, mascara, granola bars.

And so, since I've moved home, I'm eating better - not that it was hard to surpass Cheerio's and Alfredo Broccoli Lipton Noodles most days. I'm clean and pressed - an improvement over not having a washer and dryer and trying to get by with wearing that shirt onemoretime. I'm stocked up and haven't been to Wal-Mart in weeks. And I figure, this is how men have it all. It's not because they're men. It's because they have wives.

10 cat calls:

penelope said...

Word!

But I love that your mom's taking care of you. It never fails to be comforting, at any age.

Cue said...

Wait, I think I want to move home with your parents, too. ...This is SO not how it goes at my house!!

Which reminds me: I also need a wife. Because I, apparently, suck at doing it all. There's a reason I hit the end of the week and find that I have no food, no clean clothes, my room is a raging disaster, the dachshund needs his nails clipped, and the bathroom needs to be cleaned. (sigh.)

Kim said...

I don't know, I'm someone's wife and I don't actually really do any of those things. I do, however, provide awesome vacuum lines and a super clean bathroom. And I made dinner yesterday WITHOUT setting fire to the kitchen, which is marked improvement from past outings.

tempe & chris said...

Agree with Kim - I am a wife, and I'm sure Chris wishes he had a Mrs. Cleaver every so often when I let the laundry pile up to Mt. Everest-size heaps. And I don't even have kids. It's just the two of us, creating masses of dirty laundry.

mendacious said...

awesome postage. i recognize some similarities in my own sitch. though your mom sounds like a whole different kind of cleaver! bcs as Que says, that's so not what happens in MY house!

Jennifer Walter said...

I have 25 students, a husband, and a dog take care of and still my biological clock is ticking. Crazy?! Can possibly keep track of a baby too? Am I a glutten for punishment?
Well, baby or not. One thing's for sure the laundry pile never ends. I've given up on that battle.

p.s. Lovin' your daily blogs!

ashley said...

So it's not necessarily the marriage thing that imbues you with this magical domesticity?

I marvel at Mom. Now you all know why I haven't moved! I mean, your first cup of coffee poured for you and delivered? Priceless.

Kurt said...

FYI:
My jobs at the house
1. cooking
2. laundry
3. snow shoveling
Jobs my "wife" has:
1. Garbage

penelope said...

From reading through the comments... I am SO Mrs. Cleaver.

penelope said...

and totally proud.