Tuesday, April 03, 2007

18th Century Jive

I just finished reading the eighth (and final) book in a series of romance novels set in Regency England. And that's just one more in the list of the, well, embarrassingly large number of romance novels I've read over the past few months. A certain dialect pervades these novels, comprised of singular words and phrases that we don't use anymore. Maybe we never used them - these books, while historical in nature, are not necessarily committed to accuracy. At the very least, it's an interesting collection of words. Perhaps I'll try to work them into a conversation at the office tomorrow.

* missish (as in prudish)
* peevish (as in woke up on the wrong side of the bed)
* tin ear (as in can't play Beethoven in tune)
* perverse (as in charmingly naughty)
* wicked (as in totally naughty - but you like it)
* apoplectic fit (as in Regency England's version of "wigging out")
* vexed (as in pissed off)
* press one's suit (as in "Will you marry me?")
* by my troth (as in "Yes, I will marry you.")
* cast up one's accounts (as in drank too much stout last night and now I'm hugging the chamber pot)

4 cat calls:

Susan said...

JKR used "apoplectic" in Chamber of Secrets. I read it this morning before coming into work. I believe it is during the chapter where Harry sets off fireworks in potions class so that Hermione can steal supplies from Snape's own stash for polyjuice potion. :)

Cue said...

I've been known to use "peevish," but I've never heard of "cast up one's accounts." You can bet I'll try it on, should that situation present itself.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the language in the Sherlock Holmes books I used to love to read as a kid.

I find it hilarious, like when Stewie on Family Guy says "What the duece?"

ashley said...

Susan - Just another sign of JKR's brilliance.

Have you noticed that I've been saying "vile" at work a lot lately? I think this is all attributable to my JQ books.