Saturday, April 07, 2007

A Mistake in Judgment

I came across an article on Yahoo last night about a new book called The Feminine Mistake by Leslie Bennetts. I couldn't find the same article this morning, but I did find this insightful piece about the book on Salon.

In the book Bennetts makes a call to arms for young women not to sacrifice career in order to stay at home with children. Her argument is rooted in staying self-sufficient, maintaining earning power (which drops 37% after just three years out of the workplace) and being prepared for a husband or partner who loses his job, develops a drug, alcohol or gambling problem, or skips out on the marriage for a newer model (usually one, according to Bennetts, who is more career-minded).

Bennetts' arguments are not new. In fact, this debate has been going on since women entered the workplace, and I suspect it will go on for generations to come. In my view, the stay-at-home or stay-at-work choice is intensely personal. I have close friends who come down on both sides of the fence for reasons that are personal and economic. So that is not why I call attention to this article.

Instead, I call attention to the crux of the first paragraph of Joan Walsh's review: If female fear and self-doubt were ever eradicated, the publishing industry would collapse....no matter the issue, the premise is pretty much the same: We're doing something wrong. And in the article I read last night, Bennett was quoted as saying, "Women are so defensive about their choices." Well, no wonder. We're under attack from all sides for what we did or didn't do.

Look at me. I'm 27-going-on-28, unmarried and childless. For every person who thinks I'm living the life, there's someone to judge me as inept, incomplete, or just plain sad. A career may be completion to some, and for others, I simply haven't found my purpose until I have a baby. There's judgment for all of our choices, and most of the time, they come from other women.

We have so many choices today - which is a blessing and a curse. Believe me, I'm thankful for that - if I ever needed further convincing, I could revisit my Women's Lit text or rent HBO's Iron-Jawed Angels to reaffirm that we've got the long end of the stick. But because our place isn't dictated by society anymore, it's dictated by us. Which puts an enormous amount of pressure on choosing a direction.

The freedom to choose has also given birth to some sort of inherent insecurity about those choices. Instead of banding together and supporting each other and embracing the classic viewpoint that it takes all kinds, we spend our time defending ourselves to each other in case anyone should think we've failed womankind by taking a certain path.

All this to say that I find people like Bennetts distasteful. Her need to push her lifestyle choice to the front, to suggest that anyone who doesn't go that way is damning herself to a life of misery, points to insecurity rather than certainty. I know several stay-at-home moms who are very happy, in healthy, stable relationships and very fulfilled by the time they spend with their children. I also know a number of women who work every day and love and support their children just as much as the stay-at-homers.

Beyond the Mommy Wars, the pressure to have the right career, choose the right husband, be the right kind of homemaker is overwhelming. The Have It All Agenda is still out there, providing the illusion that we can have it all with no sacrifice - and that anything short of the sum total of all the facets of wife, mother, career woman, and individual - doesn't add up.

Yet, I think of the women I know and the choices they've made - my mother who gave up an excellent job to stay home. Pen, who stays at home and Andi, who is a working mom. Niki, who's pursuing law, and Jenn, who's pursuing social work. All of the women who read this blog and are career women, students, writers, mothers, wives, friends. And I'm proud of them all for making the decision that was right for them. No judgment. Other than I think you're all amazing women.

8 cat calls:

Niki said...

we think you're amazing, too!

i'm with you, ash - it disgusts me when women judge other women for following a different course than what they'd choose for themselves. the entire feminist movement was about having a CHOICE, not all being forced to follow society's prescribed path. you gotta do what's right for you, and screw what everyone else thinks.

and that goes for everything and everyone, really, not just women and career path.

also, i'm disgusted at the idea of the publishing industry not only profiting but also perpetuating the idea that women are doing the wrong thing and should hate themselves for it.

mendacious said...

wait, wait wait, your being way too encouraging and edifying. knock it off.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about this a while ago because Oprah had a show about the working mom v. stay-at-home mom debate. I kept wondering why the hell it was necessary to have an entire show to discuss this topic, because in the end, there's not going to be any right answer except what's right for each individual person. And there were so many people who just kept insisting that their way was the right way, and it was very distressing to me how much harm women were doing to each other by thinking and talking that way.

I am surrounded by so many women whose different lives and choices I deeply admire--and you are definitely one of them! Thanks for a great post.

penelope said...

Amen, sister. And thanks! And I think YOU'RE amazing, too!

xo,
love-fest pen

penelope said...

I really wonder why we're like this, as women, i.e. inherently judgmental. If it's not our major life choices in adulthood, it's what clothes we're wearing, or who we're friends with, etc, as young girls. It's so sad. We don't all have to like each other, but how about being supportive of each others' lifestyles/life choices? I always say you have to do what works for YOU. We're all individuals, and if we do have babies, they're all individuals as well. It's insane to think that one set formula will work across the board, and that any one formula is "right."

I feel like it must be another ugly, endless cycle. We're defensive of our choices because we're judged and criticized, and we're judgmental and critical because we feel the need to defend ourselves. It almost seems that the most judgmental among us (i.e. some of those women on Oprah) must be the most insecure. If they could somehow bend the world at large to their view (impossible), then their own life choices would therefore be validated. Not that I'm judging them.

I quote J.Lo when I say, "I choose to focus on my own microcosm."

Andria said...

great post and thanks for the love. I just read about this book as well in a little excerpt in Glamour. I was intrigued by the concept, but see the application was much too harsh and one-sided. I like things to be revealed that perhaps someone had not thought of for more informed choices, but when it takes a slant that you must do it one way or another, it turns me off.

women can be the best support you have in life, so it's sad when you see them destroy each other.

I'm proud of you and think you have accomplished so much! I'm excited for you to be tackling this next big hurdle and embracing change! I hope you continue to find fulfillment and happiness in your pursuits, whatever they may be!

Jennifer Walter said...

Hmmm...This one really made me think. Two days later and it's still on my mind.
Somehow, we as women, manage to be the biggest supporters and the biggest critics of ourselves - all at the same time.
Great post Ashley!

ashley said...

Thanks for the affirmations, ladies!

I keep thinking about this argument, and I'm stuck on the fact that it's like Mean Girls all grown up. Or Pretty in Pink. Or She's All That. It's the classic judge that which you don't understand or that which will make you feel better about yourself. When really it's just different. Not better or worse. Just different. And is it really so hard to acknowledge that while it isn't what you want for yourself, it's okay and maybe even good for someone else?