Thursday, April 12, 2007

Workin' 9 to 5

One night during grad school, I got a call from Kim asking me to come and get her from Martha's Karaoke Lounge. I went, thinking that I'd just dash in and retrieve her. Instead, I ended up with a microphone in my hand, waiting for the words of "9 to 5" to come up on the screen. That first karaoke experience is kind of legendary - it was like I became an entirely different person. My inner diva finally tapped, I became a frequent visitor to Martha's with my fellow grad school comrades. Kim and I do a killer "I Want You to Want Me."

Now that I'm moving away, I'm making one more appearance at the famed Martha's. Back by popular request (a.k.a. my coworkers who would like to see me humiliate myself in the name of good fun), I'll be taking up the microphone again on Saturday evening. Wilmywood friends, grad school kids, join us if you dare.

2 cat calls:

Niki said...

Because I can't sing, I only do rap karaoke. My two favorites: Shoop and Ice, Ice Baby. Also, if you get me drunk, I do a mean updated Lady Marmalade (no one can touch my L'il Kim). I think I was meant to be a rap superstar. Now I want to do karaoke. Have fun tonight!

ashley said...

I can tear up Real Slim Shady. Kim Shable and I once did an amazing acoustic version of it with accompaniment by Tom. We never quite topped that one performance. I can also do a pretty awesome Lose Yourself. I'm like Eminash.

P.S. I'd LOVE to see your Lady Marmalade.