Tuesday, April 10, 2007

RuMANations

A girlie-girl prone to crushes since, oh, I don't know, birth, I've always had some celebrity that I secretly pined for - or not so secretly wrote on every notebook I carried. According to the same journal that charted my musical tastes, I've had crushes on the following celebrities:

Dean Cain (of Lois & Clark fame) * Chipper Jones (of the Atlanta Braves) * Adam Duritz (of Counting Crows) * Harrison Ford * Colin Firth * Michael Schoeffling (from Sixteen Candles, although my crush had more to do with the little-known Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken) * Hugh Jackman * Joshua Jackson * John Mayer...and I'm sure there were many, many more whose names I was smart enough to not catalog for future embarrassment.

But far more embarrassing than any of my past crushes is that, I must confess, I still get celebrity crushes. And they seem to come in threes. My current list of crushes includes:

*James Purefoy - British and delicious. If you missed HBO's Rome, you missed his incredibly witty and sexy portrayal of Mark Antony, you missed out. He's just rugged. And wicked. Great voice, too. A guy's never looked so hot shoving a sword into his gullet.

*Christian Bale - I know he was popular among my friends (a.k.a. NIKI!) when he was in Swing Kids. I thought he was cute then, but now? He's smoldering. He's got that mysterious quality. Best Bruce Wayne ever (and with the worst script of all of them).

*Mr. Armani - I tried to find out this guy's name, and the best I can do is find one site that names him Andrew Cooper. But I don't think that's right. So we'll just call him Mr. Armani. He's spearheading the spring campaign for the label, and well, let's just say I'm glad we get GQ in the office so that I could tear the ads out and pin them to my billboard. Plus the latest issue has Christian Bale on the cover - bonus!

Once a crusher, always a crusher.

10 cat calls:

hat said...

Delightful! I too had a crush on the Michael Schoeffling from Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. Sigh.

Andria said...

BTW I have to out Niki a little here and say the crush on Christian Bale was actually earlier and came from Newsies! We would rent and watch that movie over and over and over again - it never got old, just like we practically lived at each other's houses. Our parents got sick of taking us to Blockbuster and we always picked out the same movie!

I do find it amusing that you actually rip out pictures to put up!

Niki said...

Thanks Andi - I actually like Newsies better than Swing Kids, and I'm totally cool with that.

I can't believe the timeliness of this post - just last night I was beating myself for acting like a 15 year old and watching a ridiculous amount of YouTube of Conor Oberst in concert. I'm definitely still a crusher, too - how can you not crush on Jake Gyllenhaal??

penelope said...

Michael Schoeffling is like, a carpenter now. I always get deeply reflective upon this fact whenever watching Sixteen Candles.

Christian Bale, yum. There's nothing wrong with girly-girl crushes. To stop crushing is to stop dreaming, and to stop dreaming is to stop LIVING.

xo,
pen so deep

Megs said...

I'm a celebrity crusher, too. Rob Morrow circa Northern Exposure is my current one. I know it's stupid to lust over someone from 15 years ago, but still.
Way back in the day, I was all about some River Phoenix. My dad used to refer to him as Tributary to piss me off.

Jennifer Walter said...

I'm with you on James Purefoy. HOT!! I was pleasantly surprised to find him on a TIVO taping of "Vanity Fair". (Wait...If TIVO knows to tape anything with Reese Witherspoon, I guess I have a crush on her too?!)
I tend to be a long term crusher. The all time record holder: Michael Stipe! A serious crush that started in 5th grade...19 yrs. later he still makes my heart flutter.

ashley said...

You know, Pen, I must admit that there is something totally fulfilling about daydreaming about celeb men.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

And, Meg, don't feel bad. I have a long-standing crush on Gene Kelly specifically from Singin' in the Rain. And that was over 50 years ago!

Andria said...

I loved River Phoenix, too! That's hilarious about your dad calling him Tributary! It sounds like something Niki's dad would do. I also loved Christian Slater, who thinking about it now, seems to be very similar!

ashley said...

I would feel bad about the fact that I've got Mr. Armani pinned to my bulletin board at work. Except that it seems people come to visit me more often now - so that they can get a gander at him. ;)

Cue said...

Okay! Huge confession: I have been into Christian Bale since NEWSIES.

Go look THAT one up. Laugh. It's okay.

But as Batman? Oh my GOD. Love, love him. (sigh.) I can't help myself.

And Harrison Ford? TOTALLY.