Monday, April 30, 2007

Down With Brown

I must begin this post with two important disclaimers. Number one, this post is in no way meant to disrespect my readers of the brunette persuasion. Number two, this picture is not of my hair. I will post pics - I promise - but right now, the download cord for my camera is packed in a Follette textbook box somewhere in my parents' attic or my mother's van, and my laptop isn't wired into the internet at home yet.

Now. Let's get down to business. I hate my hair. Now, I have waxed poetic about Crazy J many a time, and in my heart, I still love him. How can I not when I only had to pay half price as a going-away gift? And he worked me in to cover a scheduling snafu that had me down for a cut only. He did double-time and had two girls in his chair at once. But the end result? I have to say, this is one of my least favorite hair-dids delivered by the amazing Crazy J. Even the cut is kind of bizarre, and I've tried to tell myself that it's the change in water, but I suddenly feel like my hair isn't my hair.

I can't decide if it's just because it's one more change heaped on an already-overwhelming pile. Or if it's that I really hate the hair. I've complained about it enough that my mother is offering to pay for me to get highlights put in it, but I've sworn to live with it for a week before I sink any more money into it. I feel like I should give it a fair chance. But, truly, I hate it. So much so that I've taken to wearing a hat since Friday. The outlook for the brown hair is not good.

Perhaps it's a case of not knowing where I work or live or belong, I simply needed to know who I am when I look in the mirror. Apparently, I really do only like chocolate in my mouth and not in my hair.

5 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! If you've been wearing a hat since Friday, I'm afraid there's no hope for the brown hair. I say head to the salon now. Even if it is just all the changes, why torture yourself with feeling like you're having a terrible hair day every single day?

Sorry the brown didn't work out. :(

Niki said...

As a rule, I always, always hate my hair for at least a week after I have any kind of change. I'd say give it at least a week, and if then it hasn't started to grow on you even a little bit, get it re-did. No room in life for head of hated hair!!

(that being said, we really do want to see pics so we can judge for ourselves!)

mendacious said...

i think dyeing the hair and returning home was too traumatic all together. it's like cutting your hair before your married and all the rest. even if at one point you couldve liked it, your whole emotional being has altered since then. so i just don't know if you can judge it clearly even now.

ashley said...

I'm with you, Mendacious. I even took the polish off my toenails this morning because it somehow seemed disconcerting and not the right color for home.

And at the same time, I kind of find my hatred of my brown hair a good place to channel my bad feelings about the move. It's like an outlet for everything that's suddenly off-kilter.

penelope said...

I hate it when I hate my hair. The worst haircut I ever got was a post-breakup haircut, and it certainly distracted me from that fallout. Only not in a good way. I hope the highlights help. It sounds like Crazy J got a little too Craaaaazy.