Sunday, April 29, 2007

Leaving: Part One

Yesterday was so brutal. The packing. The disposal of unwanted items that, for whatever unknown reason, you've kept neatly tucked in a drawer, a closet, behind the door. Dividing belongings between storage and temporary life at my parents' house. But the worst part was the leaving. I'm quite sure that the impact of it will come to me slowly. That the next week will be the subsequent parts of leaving that I need or want to express. But today, there is just the first part, the iconic part, the length of time no more than five minutes long that was everything.

It is time to go. The apartment is empty, just like it was the first day that I saw it and fell in love with it and begged my landlord to let me put a deposit down even though she wanted me to think about it over the weekend. I walk through and say goodbye to the porch. Goodbye to the bathroom and bedroom and living room. And then I go to the kitchen window, the one with the big sill that I sat in and talked on the phone, or thought, or dreamed or cried, or simply stared out into the darkness of night and lost myself. I put my hands on the glass and curl my fingers around one of the cross bars of the frame. And I lean my head against the pane and I cry. Slowly, it becomes a sob - the heart-wrenching, gasping, from the bottom up sob. It is loud and painful. My mother puts one arm around my waist, and I sense that it is both to comfort and to support. I am coming loose. Then in one breath, I stop for a moment and say, "Okay." I step away from the glass, turn and walk from the kitchen.

As I reach for the door of the apartment, I turn one last time to look. I see myself in the gilt mantle mirror - face red, eyes swollen beyond recognition, my nose a bright cherry under the brim of my cap, and I say, "Goodbye" and I leave.

8 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

Sadness. :( That apartment was so much a part of you that it's impossible to imagine it without you in it. I can't even begin to know what it must have felt like to leave it behind and to say goodbye to that chapter in your life. I'll be thinking of you!

penelope said...

Ugh, it's so sad I don't even know what to say. I'm thinking of you. And missing you already!

mendacious said...

: (

dude. so not cool. i'm not even there and i'm like, oh my god, don't go! don't go! but i guess it is a chapter you're leaving, even if you return. and the effects will be there for a very long while. i hope you are soon swept away in happiness and your life in georgia.

Jennifer Walter said...

Even though I never made it to Wilmywood to see you it was a comfort to know that we were in the same state. On the bright side, I head south a whole lot more than I head east. We will have to get together soon.

Niki said...

ash, if there's anything you and i have in common it's that we both are terribly sentimental upon saying goodbye to...well, anything really. i've been dying to leave law school ever since the first day, and now that it's time, i'm all of a sudden all nostalgic - it's insane, and it happens to me ALL the time.

stay strong and know in your heart it's for the best (and if it's not, you can always change again, right?). i love you!

Andria said...

wow! I never even saw your apartment in person, but I can picture it in my mind and I know how much you embraced it and I'm proud of all that you accomplished while there.
On another note, welcome back into the OC grapevine. . Greg's mama gave me the report last night that you and Eva brough Dillon down to the school to show him off! There are some perks to being home and unemployed, right?!
Stay strong!

hat said...

Does this mean I have to delete your 314 address from my address book...? It's sort of lived there for so long, and I wrote it in ink, which I often don't do (for various reasons but in this case it was b/c I thought of it as a "carved-in-ink" type of address), and now it will have to be replaced by another address. I will miss those gorgeous windows and high ceilings.

ashley said...

HAT, that address is still valid for a piece of me, no doubt about it. I keep talking about Grace Street as "home" and "my apartment." Clearly, I'm experiencing some separation anxiety from the big windows and high ceilings.

Thanks for the well-wishing. Friends are imperative at times like these.