Saturday, January 06, 2007

In Good Company

A violent storm arrived in the wee hours this morning, buffeting the windows and shaking the house until the bed rattled. But in its wake dawned a perfectly sunny day in the mid-seventies completely out of character for early January. Despite the desperate need for me to tend to my long-neglected apartment, I opted for a quick run to Dunkin Donuts for coffee and a healthy breakfast of chocolate frosted and jelly donuts. I took my morning fare out onto the porch for some reading and dozing in the rocker, amused that I could be wearing flip flops and a tank top in the winter.

Kudzu and this little green fellow joined me for a time. Kudzu was very earnestly watching a mocking bird in the tree at the opposite end of the porch. And the lizard seemed to be seeking a nice place on the stucco to sun himself. Photos courtesy of my new digital camera - which will be used especially to provide more delightful photos to the blog.

Today was one of those days where - with the exception of a couple of phone calls and the drive thru at Dunkin Donuts - I was in complete solitude. Alone in my little world on the porch, with my book. And for the day, it was nice to not have to hear my own voice so much and live instead with the sound of silence.

3 cat calls:

Kim said...

Man, I wish there were more lizards around here. Other than a millipede, Mamie hasn't had any good wildlife interaction since that day she ate, and then barfed up, that cricket at Abbott's Run.

Andria said...

yea, digital camera! more pics, woo-hoo! Guess there was no phone call this weekend? Hope you have a post drafted so you can publish before you head home for the birth! The Blog needs to be on the phone tree!

Cue said...

That sounds so awesome. One thing about moving home with one's family -- rarely is there ever complete solitude. Or quiet, for that matter.