Monday, January 08, 2007

Taking His Own Sweet Time

Eva had her weekly doctor's appointment with the man who's gotten us all a-flutter about the baby's arrival the past two visits. Despite his predicition of a weekend arrival, all was quiet on the western front and Dillon stayed put.

Today he declared that she had made progress and dilated to two centimeters. (I feel like the Count - TWO! TWO CENTIMETERS!) And she could go any time now - just like he's been saying. Next Tuesday is her due date, and if she hasn't gone before then, she has the option to induce. Now, this seems really strange to me. Shouldn't the doctor make the call whether or not he's going to induce? Shouldn't that be an educated medical decision and not when-do-we-want-the-baby's-birthday-to-be? No word yet on what decision the expectant parents will make. But I must say, a Tuesday birthday would be most inconvenient for Auntie Ashley, Dillon, and if you could see fit to come out, say, Friday night, that would be most appreciated. I'll buy you something nice. I promise.

3 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

I kept hoping the phone might ring this weekend. However, as it is no longer the weekend, I will respectfully request that Dillon stay put. Certainly he can relax in the comfort of his mother's womb for a few more days? Please?

Ruby said...

I keep checking in, hoping for baby news...!

I think that doctors are getting a little too induce-happy these days. Even though it's more convenient for doctor and parents, you have to wonder about artificially making a woman's body 'ready'.

I know of two girls with birthdays on the 10th and 12th who wouldn't mind sharing a birthday with baby Dillon! Andria and I will keep our fingers crossed!

Andria said...

I was going to say that the 12th was a glorious day to come into the world. And while the 10th is perfectly respectable, I think Friday works much better, like you requested! ;)