Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Failure to be a Responsible Adult

When I was in Atlanta, I made a grocery store run with my brother and my dad. We wandered through the aisles, picking up essentials - eggs, OJ - and nonessentials - beef jerky (2 varieties), Snickers ice cream. In the car, we talked about the first time we went to the grocery store in college and realized we could buy anything we wanted - sugary cereals, Hostess Cupcakes.

Last night, I went to the grocery store and tried to overcome the desire to buy Lucky Charms and DiGiorno Pizzas and call it a night. And I did. I bought real food: a tuna steak, green peas, the makings for soup and a shrimp pasta. I was on my way to the checkout, my cart brimming with fresh fish and vegetables. Enough for three very sensible meals with no ridiculous extras. And then on a whim, I turned down the cookie aisle and picked up a pack of the new Chips Ahoy Soft Baked White Fudge Chocolate Chunk cookies. Totally unnecessary.

And tonight, instead of cooking one of the well-balanced meals I shopped for, I sat on the couch finishing a book. I had fifty pages left after staying up til 1 reading last night. So in the end, I ate Honey Nut Cheerios. And cookies. Good job, Ash.

2 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

Oh, well. . . being in the middle of a good book and racing to reach the end always takes precedence over cooking, as far as I'm concerned.

ashley said...

My boss told me not to worry about not cooking because she never cooks when her husband's out of town. I pointed out, however, that since I live alone, I would by default never cook.

I will feed my soul with books - yeah, right. Not the kind of books I'm reading. But I do love my pulpy romance novels just the same.