Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Third Time's a Charm

The first time, I panic. And cry. Kim comes down from her apartment on 6th and keeps me company until the police come. I lament my lost Indigo Girls and the CD player that leaves a gaping hole in the dash front.

The second time, I am annoyed. The water meter cover through the window that destroys the console and causes like $1,500 worth of damage to the car is worse than some of the wrecks I've had. I am comforted only by the poetic justice of knowing that the perps made off with two bags of garbage from my trunk.

The third time, I wonder what the universe is trying to tell me. What is it, I wonder, that I've done to end up sitting in my car again amidst shattered glass waiting for the five-o.

On my way to the car today, I call Kim and I get her voicemail and I say, "Hey, man. I just left the office and I'm getting in the car and...oh...my car's been broken into. There's glass everywhere. I gotta call the cops. I'll call you back." This might surpass the strangeness of the time I told her I was having an allergic reaction and would have to call her back.

I stand out on the sidewalk after calling 911 to wait for the patrol unit headed my way. I call Mom. She's with Anna, who's giving out the scholarship in Ronnie's memory at the local high school. She wants to send Dad home immediately. I say no.

It's hot. My boss comes out and stands with me until the policeman arrives. He's stocky, military haircut, tattoo under his left sleeve. I run through the scenario - I've done this before - and tell him nothing's been taken. The perp didn't even get in the car; all doors were still locked.

The cop asks me, "Angry boyfriend?" I laugh, rather loudly. And then I realized he's serious. "Um, no."

"Anyone else?" I know he has to ask these questions; I mean, that's his job. But the laughableness of it.

"No," I say. "I can't think of anyone who..." Would hurt me? That sounds so Lifetime. Who would do this to me? Total victim. Very 90210. "...who would...be mad at me...like this." Okay, so that totally doesn't make sense, but it was the best I had.

I had a list of things I was going to do when I got home to help Mom around the house. Instead, I fashioned a window out of Saran Wrap and masking tape and cleaned roughly five pounds of glass shards out of my car.

If this was six months ago, I'd no doubt be rather hysterical over the attack on my car. But after a moment in which I said something really maudlin to my mom (thank God the phone cut out), I realized when I called her back that this is small. In the grand scheme of things, it's a few thousand shards of glass.

10 cat calls:

Ruby said...

This is crazy. Three times?!

I guess you gotta quit driving those fancy schmancy Jags and Benzes... I like your outlook on the whole deal, although I do need to go look up the definition of mauldlin.

Ruby said...

Make that maudlin. (Sorry.)

This appears to be an excellent opportunity for the Word of the Day at Smartini tomorrow. Especially since one of the definitions is: foolishly or mawkishly sentimental because of drunkenness. Drinkin' on the job, eh?

penelope said...

Well, shit. That sucks! If you were Catholic, I'd advise keeping a medal of St. Christopher in your car. I feel like it's actually, truly helped ward off certain... incidents.

It is pretty nuts that this is becoming routine, dealing with a broken-into car. Sigh.

jenn said...

What a bummer! BUT it's so wonderful to hear that you are able to take it in stride this time. Not that it doesn't suck, because of course it does, but it's amazing the perspective you are able to have this time around.

Andria said...

whoa! that's just unreal. karma really likes to whap you in sets of 3, huh? I, too, was going to have to go look up the word maudlin, so thanks, Megan.
I am glad that you have some perspective and that nothing was really stolen this time! unreal.
I can imagine Kim listening to that voicemail, too. . she's been through some doozies with you.

Kurt said...

Those of us in high crimes areas just leave the car unlocked. Go ahead, take my travel mug.

ashley said...

I was really upset at first and I said, "I hate my life." But the phone cut off and Mom didn't hear me and I was so glad, because, really, I don't hate my life. And there are so many things that happen that are terrible. I was mad at myself for even being that "weakly emotional." :)

Poor Kim. She never bats an eye at whatever bizarre thing I say or do. Maybe it's because she attracts the motliest of situations herself.

Jennifer Walter said...

What a bummer and I thought my week sucked. This was a good reality check. If you can take it all with a grain of salt so can I. Love you!

Niki said...

They could've taken something, you know, after going through all that trouble to break the window!

No seriously, glad nothing valuable was gone (except your window) and you kept perspective - very impressive because I would've tweaked, I'm sure.

mendacious said...

i can't believe i missed reading this- i must blame the big trees.

good for you though- worst case scenario- totally handled!

it's laughable right - it's like hey, you're going to have to try harder than that to bring me down.!

inspiring- and yes, totally sucks but STILL.