Monday, May 26, 2008

House Hits Home

Even though I was hopping mad that I missed the season finale of House last week, I somehow didn't find the time to watch the episode on the Internets (thank you, Sus) until yesterday. I wasn't prepared. If you're a fan of the show and haven't caught the season-ender, I warn you not to read further.

If you're not a fan of the show, what you may not know is that House has a knack for taking the bizarre and seemingly-unconnected symptoms of patients and turning it into a diagnosis, all within about 47 minutes. And, sure, patients sometimes die. But in most cases, House comes through.

This week, though, he didn't. Even though he identified the victim - best friend Wilson's girlfriend who also was a former intern under House - he wasn't able to save her. (Note this means that a main secondary character died.) Cause of death? A nasty case of the flu...which prompted her to take a medication that shut down her kidneys after a traumatic bus accident. It wasn't so much the flu part that got me. It was that they rendered her unconcious while they puzzled out the diagnosis and revived her to tell her she's dying.

There was this scene where she's just woken up and all the characters come visit her in a montage. At the end of it, Wilson's holding her and he asks why she's not angry. She says, "Because that's not the last thing I want to experience." And then Wilson tells her he loves her and shuts the life support off - and that was what got me. That is what's still haunting me. Because I couldn't help comparing it to our situation. And wondering, if that last moment, Ronnie had been awake to say goodbye, what would I have said? What would Anna have said? And is it something, the during the night, comes to her in a dream, wakes her up, and makes her grieve all over again for not getting that chance?

6 cat calls:

jenn said...

Wow, I can't imagine how much that episode must have really hit home for you. I think we all can't help wishing that we had the chance to say goodbye when we lose someone. I have no doubt that Ronnie knew how you and Anna and everyone else in your family felt about him. It's not a substitute for getting the chance to say the things you wanted to say, I know, but still I'm sure he knew. Your family is so loving and open that there is no mistaking your feelings, and at least you can feel good about that.

penelope said...

Whoa... I'm sorry. :( That totally must have been traumatic. I agree with Jenn, though, in regards to Ronnie knowing that you all loved him.

Kurt said...

This is sort of off point, but I felt that season finale didn't really keep with the tone of House. It went all soft at the end, and it felt wrong.

ashley said...

It's so weird how you never notice how much death comes up on TV and in movies until you experience it close to you, and then you see how it's everywhere. Sometimes it doesn't bother me. And sometimes, it pulls the trigger.

And, Kurt, I suspect we missed some of the arc that would've made this kind of mushy end more meaningful because the season was cut short. Didn't you feel all sad and slo-mo montage-y last year when Chase, Foreman and Cameron quit?

Andria said...

wow, you're right. . I didn't really think about the impact of it all or how much TV deals with death and I can see how it would really affect you after such an eerily similar experience. But, I thought it was kind of cruel to wake her up just to tell her she was dying. I was amazed and impressed with the way she understood it and took it and loved that quote/sentiment.

I agree, that your family is very open and emotionally there for each other, so I am certain Ronnie knew that and could feel your presence around him. And even if you were given the chance, you would most likely be haunted by how you could have used it differently to say something more.

Kurt said...

I can barely remember last season's ending. I guess I knew they'd still be there on the show, since the actors weren't fired.