Monday, July 09, 2007

Celebrate Good Times

Despite the fact that I'm a tad grouchy about turning 28, the 72-hour birthday extravaganza surrounding the event were enough to wash away the blues. These included

* Arrival of owl post bearing gifts from afar

* Shoe shopping at DSW's 80 percent off summer clearance sale with Mom, Anna, Eva & Dillon. The prevalence of the 80 percent off stickers nearly caused my circuits to overload.

* A card from my sister that wished me clearance shoes in my size. In the end, I walked away with three pairs.

* Funny e-cards and well-wishing emails and lovely comments on the blog

* Greek salad with grilled shrimp

* Sushi at Utage and milkshakes from The Grill (courtesy of Eva & Justin)

* Blueberry pancakes made by Chef Justin

* A card from Justin with a poem about farting (I love my brother)

* A gift certificate from Mom for a massage

* Dillon's first bath in the sink in which he determined that splashing is fun

* Sunday dinner at Blue Willow Inn, which I'm not sure those of you not from The South can truly appreciate. But it's sweet tea, fried chicken, collard greens and sweet potato casserole that will knock your socks off finished with chess pie. Mmmm.

* A new teacup for my collection

* A card from my parents that made me cry

Here's hoping for many happy returns.

8 cat calls:

Kim said...

Hooray! I'm so glad that your birthday was such a smashing success! And considering I STILL haven't gotten around to sending you a birthday card yet, because I suck so bad, expect it to be the MOST! AWESOME! CARD! EVER!

No pressure on me or anything. Love you!

laura said...

so glad you had a wonderful birthday. being with family on your birthday is the best blessing. we love you! beth has especially become interested in blogs lately, so i have been reading parts of yours. she thinks that "baby Dillon" is so cute and told me she hopes Sam is as cute! it's a tough act to follow... love, russ, laura, beth, sarah jane, and baby sam

Ruby said...

That sounds like a killer birthday celebration (80% off shoes?! holy smokes!).

The Blue Willow Inn is the BEST! I have their cookbook, The Bible of Southern Cooking, and it truly is my source and guide. (I gave it as a graduation gift to two girls here to spread the joy of southern cooking!)

tempe & chris said...

Ashley, I am so happy that you had a wonderful birthday weekend - sounds like it was a fun-filled time with good food and fun with your family!

I envy you - getting to go to the Blue Willow Inn...yum...

penelope said...

That sounds like one fantastic birthday. Hurrah!

P.S. What is chess pie?

ashley said...

Laura - I have no doubt Baby Sam will be a darling.

Pen - Well, at the Blue Willow, they actually call it "Blue Willow Squares," but it's a concoction my grandmother used to make under the auspices of chess pie. It's...well, kind of hard to describe. But it's kind of creamy and has a sweet, buttery flavor and a crisp flakey top on in. I'm not doing it justice. I'll research and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

Yay for a very happy birthday!

Andria said...

My Mema has made Chess pie before, too, although I can't think how to describe it. Here's what I found about it online, FYI

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/pierecipes/a/chesspie.htm