Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Deathly Hallows: Predictions & Questions

SPOILER ALERT: I know some of you out there are trying to stay totally pure before Deathly Hallows hits the shelves. In fact, I might have been shushed earlier this week for starting a sentence, "I read an article..." in fear of spoilage. The truth is, I'm really just obsessed - not clairvoyant. And I have not heard/seen/read any of the leaked manuscript. However, out of deepest respect for my fellow Pottermaniacs, I will clarify that what follows is an account of

a) information that JKR has confirmed will be in the seventh book
b) a few scattered thoughts of what I think will be in the book

Most of this information deals with the return of characters, objects, and questions that will be answered/information to be revealed (on JKR's part) and a few somewhat-educated guesses on my part from all my reading on The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet. All of this is based on the existing, already-released cannon that you all have access to and not, in any way, information from an illicit copy of the Deathly Hallows manuscript. In short, I have nothing with which to spoil you, but if you are still wary, look away.

* JKR has confirmed the return of the following characters and items from Potter's past in the final installment: Viktor Krum, Dolores Umbridge, Rita Skeeter, Sirius' motorcycle and the flying Ford Anglia.

* She has also confirmed that we will see Sirius Black again, though she would not say in what form. I nearly wept for joy when I saw this. (Perhaps a portrait hidden in Grimauld Place?)

* Also making a return is the two-way mirror, which she said would not have been as useful as we might have thought it, but that it would be more useful than we might think. How's that for cryptic? I find it interesting, too, that JKR cautioned filmmakers about Kreacher, but did not insist on the mirror being present in the film.

* An Order of the Phoenix member we are aware of but "have not met properly" will become important.

* A staple of the books - Quidditch - has flown its last. But another staple - the annual installment of a new Defense Against the Darks Arts teacher - will be present. Guess that answers the 'will Hogwarts be open' question.

* We will find out something incredibly important about Lily and why it is important that Harry has Lily's eyes. Possibly to remind Snape of who Harry's mother was?

* Expect to get information about Dumbledore in a variety of ways - JKR says family would be a profitable line of thinking. Thus, we can expect to head to the Hog's Head and get friendly with the barman who likes to get friendly with goats. We also know his portrait is in the headmaster's (now headmistress') office, and likely in the Ministry of Magic (although, that's unconfirmed). And there's always the pensieve.

* A question at a recent reading about whether or not any of the professors were married received an evasive answer from JKR, and it was suggested that the answer was both in the affirmative and significant to the seventh book.

* The last word is no longer scar - although it's very near the end.

* Someone does magic late in life under desperate circumstances. I'm pulling for Mrs. Figg.

* Why, why, why, please, tell us why, Dumbledore trusts Snape? Some suggest Snape may have been forced to make an Unbreakable Vow to the Order. If this is the case, someone served as the bond sealer. I would like to say that I think Snape may be able to prove his loyalty by calling Fawkes to him as Harry did in the Chamber of Secrets.

* In a recent interview, JKR was asked if she cried when she finished the book. She said no, but that a chapter very near the end caused her to "howl." I think that makes us all a bit uncomfortable.

* Let it be said that Kim called way back in 2003 with the release of Order of the Phoenix that the Mimbulus Mimbletonia would have its day. And as information often skips a book before coming back, I think she may have it here.

* JKR dodged a question about Harry time-traveling, which is again, an indicator that it might come up.

* I'm kind of wondering - and I have no basis for this - if the Potters were Unspeakables (workers in the Department of Mysteries).

* Mugglenet had a Deathly Hallows Madness (similar to March Madness) that posed 65 questions about the seventh book. I couldn't possibly review all my answers here, but the high points, just for posterity are:

1) Harry, Ron, Hermione & Ginny will live (because I can't really bear to predict otherwise although I secretly, secretly fear that Harry will die).
2) Snape is good. (And loved Lily. And will do something extreme to show his loyalty for the Order. Like taking the old Avada Kedavra for the team.)
3) Draco Malfoy dies.
4) Neville will defeat Bellatrix Lestrange.
5) Nargles are for real.

Let the final countdown begin! Just 48 hours until the momentous occasion!!

2 cat calls:

Ruby said...

I wonder if Bill will be the new DADA teacher?

TOMORROW!! YEA!!

Andria said...

Now having read the book (REAL SPOILERS ALERT):



Did we see the flying Ford? I don't recall it. . .

I don't know how they will get around not introducting the mirror in the movie?

I agree with Megan - who does the magic late in life?

We still don't know what the Potter's did, do we? Did I miss it?

I agree, I howled! well, quietly, if that's possible.

You certainly were well-informed! Thanks again for all of the dirt and dish on HP.