Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Shame On You, NYT

The New York Times obtained an illicit copy of The Deathly Hallows and posted a review on its website, containing major spoilers. Shouldn't journalists have more integrity? I recognize that the release of this book is a cultural phenomenon that is the scoop of the moment, but don't they have souls?

All this to say, be careful, folks. I'd advise you to avoid unknowns on the web until you've got the book in hand unless you want to know the ending ahead of time. I myself am limiting web surfing to the known quantities until I'm on the other side of the hallows. As Mad-Eye Moody would say, "Constant vigilance!"

4 cat calls:

mendacious said...

um... i don't know. integrity has not ever or always been synonymous with journalism. i for one look forward to the first person who will tell me what happens so i can then read it forget about it and go onto the next cultural phenom. don't hate me.

Anonymous said...

ugh. i couldn't help myself and fished around for some of the spoilers, just to see what people are saying. i don't believe most of them. but, one site, while it didn't look particularly legit, contained spoilers that weren't exactly far-fetched... and they completely depressed me. it's my own darn fault, and now it's all i can think about. but then the alleged copy of the book that's available for download? yeah, looked at that, too, and it is so not jkr.

whatever!! saturday better come quick, and amazon better come through.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to know ANYTHING. I couldn't even bring myself to read your "predictions and questions" entry. I would rather let it all unfold. I'm so excited! :)

ashley said...

Mendacious - I'm all for whatever makes you happy.

Pen - I read a little too much a few weeks ago and was just sick about it. I've learned my lesson. When I saw the NYT thing break last night, I said to myself, "Don't even think about it."