Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Confessions of a Pottermaniac

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you'll probably think that this post isn't that much of a confession. And those of you who have been around me and subjected to my enthusiasm during peak periods of Pottermania (like the present) will no doubt nod your heads in agreement. But here is the full confession of a Pottermaniac, and the promise of posts to follow that will clearly establish that my obsession has reached monumental proportions.

I am nearly done rereading the full Potter cannon for the let's-not-even-try-to-count time. I very deliberately started out with Sorcerer's Stone about six weeks ago with the aim of finishing Half-Blood Prince fresh and ready for the midnight release of Deathly Hallows in 10 days' time. At present, I'm about 200 pages from accomplishing that goal. Others are rereading - I know Susan's a bit ahead of me. So is my brother - but he cheated and just reread Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince.

But I read carefully, painstakingly. And here's where the obsessive Pottermaniac confession comes in. I read with a notebook beside me and kept notes about questions and theories that arise from each book. I've run a number of them past Mom, and she's been kind enough to entertain and debate each of them in turn. And yesterday, we got totally out of control and bought Mugglenet's best-selling What Will Happen in Book 7? while at Wal-Mart.

All this to say, my Pottermania is reaching an absolute fever-pitch, with the release of the movie at midnight tonight (I'm planning a weekend viewing) and the conclusion of the whole series just days away. Prior to the Deathly Hallows release, I'll be posting the remaining questions raised during my reread of the books. And while the readership on the blog has sky-rocketed from searches for Deathly Hallows spoilers, I think the reality is, there's no such thing. We can theorize and conjecture, question, and keep our fingers crossed that Harry makes it out alive. But we won't really know - save the few and the proud at Scholastic and Bloomsbury - until the clock strikes midnight next week. Until then, I'm going to be preparing for the final installment like it's my job. After all, I don't have a real one yet.

6 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

Wow. . . this has definitely reached new proportions. I mean, I consider myself quite a fan and am also concluding my re-reading, but I don't have a notebook.

There is a HUGE street party going on next Friday at a local independent bookstore with everything from "butterbeer" to a trivia contest to HP prizes. It's one of the biggest release parties in the country. Dan and I are stoked!

ashley said...

I'm so envious! I think it's going to be a release party of one here in GA since I've no one to go with me. But in some ways, it's okay...me and Harry started out together one-on-one, and that's how we'll end. I just hope he's still ALIVE!

Andria said...

Dare I ask who's accompanying you for your weekend viewing? Not to nose my way in, but I'll be in town for a wedding and have been desparately seeking a companion to see the new movie, perhaps it would work out to join you? I might be beneath you, though, in real HP fan status. I am also concluding my re-reading, but I don't have a notebook, either.

daisy said...

I saw an interview with Daniel Radcliffe last night during which they asked him how he wanted the series to end. And he had the audacity to say that he wants Harry to die. Emma Watson, however, was charming and said she hopes Hermione ends up with Ron and gets a good job using her intellect which sort of made me love Emma a lot more than Daniel.

ashley said...

Andi - Agh! I went to see it this afternoon with my mom - see scathing review above. Don't panic if you don't get to it immediately.

Daisy - I saw that Dan is kind of hoping for a great death scene, but honestly. Go die in another movie.

Anonymous said...

You could always make an impromptu trip to St. Louis next weekend. ;)