Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Harry Potter and the Colossal Disappointment

As Umbridge would say, wands away. If you're headed to see Order of the Phoenix this weekend, there'll be no need for magic. And bring your Spell-O-Tape. You're going to need it tape the story together. Mom jumped the gun today and decided we should take in an opening day matinee.

Undoubtedly the most complex and darkly emotional of the Potter series and at a whopping 870 pages to boot, Order of the Phoenix presented a definite challenge for the men behind the movie. I am sorry to say, but - I must not tell lies - they fell incredibly flat. Perhaps their biggest mistake was turning over screenplay duties to newcomer Michael Goldenberg instead of bringing back veteran Steve Kloves - which was akin to finding Umbridge a worthy replacement for Dumbledore. When you've got a scene with Maggie Smith and Emma Thompson that sounds hollow, there's a problem with the script.

From the film's opening, none of the actors are given any emotional space. Harry's expulsion from Hogwarts cuts to the Order's arrival cuts to Grimauld Place cuts to Sirius' account of Voldemort's activities and so on - and no one's reacting to anything. Sure, Harry gets out a bit of righteous anger here and there, but all in all, the emotion of the movie is packed so tight, it's almost not there. Not even when Mr. Weasley is attacked do we get any real sense of the emotional stakes of the scene.

And when will they learn? The seventh movie? That the people flocking to see this movie are Potter fans - fans of the books written by J.K. Rowling - and that's what they expect to see. The characters from the books in the role they play in the books in the plot laid down in the books. I was amazed to see that Nigel is a member of the D.A. Who is Nigel, you ask? I have no idea! In a fictional world as populated as Rowling's the creation of characters for the movie is utterly ridiculous. And while we're creating Nigel, who's totally useless, Marietta is axed altogether and the betrayal of the D.A. is handed to another character in a way that makes no sense.

Umbridge, as pivotal as she is in the book (and well-played by Imelda Stauton) is given too much screen time, with her role expanded for...dare I say, comic effect? We're repeatedly shown Filch nailing up decree upon decree, and Umbridge twirling her wand to tuck in shirts and tighten ties. Her method of detention is horribly overused in the film until it becomes numbing.

And for those looking for salvation for the book's crucial moments, you'll think that someone's hit them with the reducto jinx. Snape's worst memory? Thirty second, tops. The Weasley's grand exit? Not so grand. The Department of Mysteries? Not as mysterious when you lose the time-turners, the brains, the locked door, and the majority of the battle between the D.A. and the Deatheaters. And Sirius' final moments...I didn't even cry. This from the girl who nearly made herself sick crying after reading the book. Oh, and don't look for the long conversation with Dumbledore in his office - it's been reduced to about five lines.

This scathing review isn't a reflection of the acting. On the contrary, I thought the trio carried their skills forward very well, and Rupert Grint in particular was the delight of this film. (One of the best scenes is between the trio after the Harry/Cho kiss.) And as far as I'm concerned, they could've given more time to Evanna Lynch, whose spot-on portrayal of Luna Lovegood had me wishing they'd used her more. Daniel Radcliffe, whose spotlight job is the hardest, did a better job with his emotional scenes, and I really loved the chemistry between him and Gary Oldman.

But in the end, the movie was incredibly unsatisfying as a movie, much less as a representation of Order of the Phoenix. It's such a disappointment, as long as we've waited and knowing that this will stand as the fifth installment with this cast of actors. I just can't quite figure out how you can get this cast together - Alan Rickman, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter - and mess it up so badly. I'm just confunded.

10 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

Good post on HARRY POTTER

Ruby said...

I am sad to read that the movie stinks. I have to admit, however, that I haven't been a big fan of the movies all along... I blamed it on being 'British' but maybe that's not it.

I checked out the stills from OOTP and wasn't immediately drawn in. I noticed Nigel in the D.A. pic and thought 'Who in the HELL is that?!'.

Susan said...

I've been reading reviews after I e-mailed you about the movie yesterday and thought maybe I was just an idiot for being so disappointed with it. Then I checked your blog today and literally said "Thank God. Ashley agrees with me!"

The fact that neither us of cried when Sirius died means that they royally screwed up. Now I really can't wait for Deathly Hallows to get back into the real Potter realm after being stuck in some alternate reality of crap Potter.

The one good thing I realized from this movie is Ron is where it's at! He's HOT, funny and the best of the Weasley's even though Fred, George and Ginny are right up there.

penelope said...

Ugh... How disappointing. Nigel? No brains in the Dept of Mysteries? No tears shed at the death of Sirius? I don't even know what to say.

Excellent reviewing skills, though.

Dear lord, let's hope the 7th book makes up for this let-down.

daisy said...

Ohno, ohno, ohno!!! I am still going to see it - of course - but I trust you completely when it comes to anything and everything Harry Potter and so I know I'm bound to be let down. Thanks for the warning. Perhaps I can find some Felix Felicitus before I go see it...

BUMMER.

Anonymous said...

Very nicely put, and I concur with your disappointment. I'll save my comments for e-mail so I don't give too much away to anyone who hasn't seen it. . .

ashley said...

Kim's friend Marita really enjoyed the film...so maybe all is not lost. But I am glad that I'm not crazy since Susan and Jenn concur...perhaps after a couple more viewings, it will grow on me. Like a bat bogey hex.

Cue said...

Oh, man!! I believe you, and I feel compelled to see it anyway. Thanks for this detailed heads up.

Andria said...

I was hard pressed to avoid your review before seeing it on my own, but managed to for one day, even though I got the jist of your review from the title and first few words I couldn't avoid seeing. I caught a matinee yesterday afternoon with my sister and while I was greatly dissappointed and confused by it's total injustice to the book, I think overall, the movie wasn't too bad in and of itself. Emily hadn't read the books and was entertained, if not a bit confused and without knowing how much she really missed. I can't count the times I leaned over and said, "that's NOT how it happened!" with such indignation! I have had a certain understanding that there is no possible way to capture all that is laid forth in the extensive books in the movie, so allowed for things being left out or slightly altered for the sake of time, but I felt this movie took WAY too many liberties and dramatically changed things for no real purpose, other than, perhaps like you said, the humor factor, but also as you mentioned those people coming to see the movie are mostly readers of the books and, thus, would not find any humor in the changes! Beyond that simple fact of major plot changes, though, there was also the real lack of emotional impact for significant events. I didn't like Mrs. Figg calm delivery of her lines after Harry deflects the Dementors, the lack of any real reaction to the trial time being changed or relocated, etc. And Draco had no real impact whatsoever in this movie. Considering his prominent role in the next book, I'm surprised by this downplay. I did LOVE Luna, though. She was a very bright spot and dead on. It makes me wonder with some of the changes, how they might affect Book 7 - obviously, Rowling cautioned them to keep Kreacher in, so all the other changes to significant events show that they possibly aren't quite as significant or essential?! Anyway, I've taken up enough space her, guess I should have just emailed you, sorry! And may still. . .

ashley said...

Andi - I'm so with you about Mrs. Figg. I think that's when I started to worry...when she very calmly said, "Don't put your wand away, Harry." Like, um, no. She was freaking out and jangling her cat food and cursing Mundungus. Read the BOOK.