Monday, July 30, 2007

Me & Cherie Go Up & Down

For those of you who live (or have lived) in N.C., you know Cherie Berry. She's the first occupant on every elevator in the state, the Commissioner of Labor, smiling down at you and letting you know that the elevator has been inspected for your safety. I've missed her since I moved to Georgia, who so far as I can tell, has no such Patron Saint of Elevators.

I felt a little twinge over the weekend while in a hotel in Raleigh when I saw Cherie sitting serenely above the button panel when I got in to take the luggage cart back to the lobby. Maybe that's why I mistook the "6" button for a "G" and exited the elevator two floors above our fourth floor room. By the time I saw that the numbers were in the 600s, the elevator had closed and descended. I called another one, selected the proper "G" button, and rode down the requisite six floors. When the doors slid open, I pushed the cart out, only to find myself on the parking deck level, at which point I began to laugh, and, therefore, missed my chance to get back on the elevator. I finally reached the Mezzanine level (oh, you're so fancy, Hampton Inn, with your mezzanine level) and returned the cart.

I started to take the stairs back up, but I didn't want to give up just a bit more time with Cherie. For old time's sake.

2 cat calls:

mendacious said...

i am totally jealous of your patron saint of elevators. the ones at my work only have our cafeteria advertisements and the movies that have recently shot here. lame.

as an art piece you should make up stickers of who you want your georgian patron to be and paste them whereever you go- now that would be rad!!!

Jennifer Walter said...

As a relatively new resident of NC...I have found myself looking at Ms. Berry's pic quite often. I am thankful that she is looking out for my elevator travels.