Friday, May 18, 2007

Things That Make You Go Whoops

I've been remiss in posting the last couple of days while I was in Atlanta with Justin, Eva and Dillon. I went to keep her company on Wednesday because Justin had to entertain clients late into the evening. Around 7:30, Eva and I headed for the car to dash out for dinner. We had been waiting on my cousin to show up when she called and cancelled due to work obligations. We had just a tiny window before Dillon was going to put on his fussy pants and demand his last bottle and bed. Did I mention we were voraciously hungry?

All of these things - the hunger, the lateness of the hour, the impending fussy pants episode, and the position of the garage in relation to the driveway - combined for a collossal oops. As we pulled out of the garage, Eva smashed into the back end of my Rav.

Now, some of you may know that Eva's a little bit notorious behind the wheel. For my grad school comrades, you may remember that I catalogued another famous car accident of hers in my short story "Car Crashes." And there's another story we like to tell about her driving when she had a tiny Ford Probe (totalled in aforementioned story accident) when I was on the way to her apartment with my boyfriend at the time. We were a little turned around when this silver bullet whipped around us, nearly clipping the corner of the car. And while my boyfriend was swearing at her, I said, "Follow her! That's Eva!"

The weird thing was that I knew it was going to happen. As the garage door lifted up and I spied the Rav behind us in the driveway, it just clicked in my head that she was going to hit it. But when she started easing out of the garage, I thought she saw it. When she cleared the trash can, she accelarated, and though I called out her name, she didn't have time to hit the breaks before she hit the car.

Bless her sweet heart. She felt so awful. And I felt so awful, looking at the bumper pulled away from the body and crumpled underneath. She couldn't stand the suspense and interrupted Justin's dinner meeting to tell her what she'd done. Between losing the dog last week and the accident this week, I'm doubtful that I'll be invited back to their house for awhile.

7 cat calls:

penelope said...

Oh no, poor little RAV! But aren't you the one they call Smashin Bigguns? ;)

Andria said...

wow. the stars do not seem to be aligned for you in Atlanta right now! The first ding is always the hardest, but knowing the inflictor must make it even more painful!
Good call, Pen, on her own reputation.

ashley said...

The Smashin' I will own had something to do with my infamous clumsiness. The Bigguns...well that spoke to other *ahem* attributes of mine. I think I can thank Andi's husband and his best friend Josh for bestowing that one on me in Algebra II.

penelope said...

Yowza.

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! Sorry to hear your new car took a beating. I'm sure that was an awful moment for both of you. Oy. Hope the damage won't be too difficult to repair!

ashley said...

It'll just be four days in the shop, mostly because of the painting. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. But still...four days with no car. Ick.

Andria said...

I was trying to figure out how to delicately relate that information about your stripper stage name. I thought it was in Home Ec., but my memory's not what it used to be. :)