Monday, May 21, 2007

Octagonal Oddities

Tagged by Pen to reveal 8 weird things about myself...as if what I write everyday doesn't qualify.

1. I am obsessed with trees. I have in my closet a branch of a weeping cherry tree that used to reside in our backyard and was cruelly cut down because it grew into the septic tank. At Berry, there was a holly tree that grew outside my window, and in Wilmywood, the giant ancient oak outside the Grace Street house was mine all mine. Trees make me feel peaceful and contemplative. Something to do with my name, perhaps? Or maybe I was an Ent in a former life.

2. I feel bad when I am not part of a cultural phenomenon. I feel guilty about the fact that"Smells Like Teen Spirit" was one of the most formative songs of my generation and I simply wasn't that into it. Clerks and Mallrats? Never seen 'em. The Simpsons? Not that funny to me. It makes me feel like a lesser member of the human race, like I'm not being a team player because I'm not participating. It's one of the main reasons I watch American Idol.

3. I like to have the same conversations over and over again, particularly with my mom. If we've talked out a situation once, we've talked it out 100 times. Sometimes we even use the same phrases. There is no answer, no resolution to these conversations. They are just familiar terrain that we like to explore over and over again. Like we need to say, "Remember that rock from yesterday?" Yep, I remember.

4. Embarrassingly weird, but Sister Act Two: Back in the Habit always makes me cry at the end. I'm serious. Those kids singing "Joyful, Joyful" and beating out the giant choir from St. Wherever, and I am in a puddle. Oh, Whoopi.

5. I don't like to listen to music unless I know the words. When I get a new CD, I listen to it at least twice with the liner notes in front of me. I've got to get a hang of the chorus, a thread of each verse in order to build on it until I know all the words. Perhaps this is why I cannot get into jazz. And as a second to this, when I find an artist that I like, I feel compelled to get all of their music even if I only like one song. I want to own them - all of them - and know all the words. This is how I like music.

6. I only like art that looks like something. I know this is incredibly low-brow and unhip of me. But if I'm going to hang it up, I need to see something in it - a cloud, a dog, a barn. It can be abstracted, but there's got to be something there. I'm sure there is great meaning in Pollock. But I don't want it on my wall.

7. I am obsessed with my left-handedness. I like to note what activities I actually perform left-handed...writing, eating, drinking, painting my fingernails, repelling.... I make note of anyone around me who is left-handed - store clerks, waiters, delivery men. I acknowledge it, like we are somehow comrades in arms because of our left-handedness. If I'm watching a movie, I will notice if an actor is left-handed. And I have to say it out loud. "Diane Keaton's left-handed!" (This during watching Baby Boom with my dad last weekend.) It is like being part of a secret society to me - and yeah, Hendrix is in it with me.

8. I see shortening people's names as a sign of affection. And some people hate this and find it a real insult that you would shorten their name. My friend Niki and I have been friends since first grade...back then, we were Nicole and Ashley. But as years went by, it shortened and shortened until we were Nik and Ash. And we used to joke that some day we'd just be letters. I also call STGD by the first letter of his first name which is "T". There are exceptions to the rule - names that simply don't lend themselves to being shortened or people who simply don't fit the acceptable shortening. But really - if I cut off most of your name, it's because I love you.

Tagging the hometown gals - Nik, Andi and Megan.

10 cat calls:

Ruby said...

I am with you about the art. I just don't get it if I don't know what it is.

When I last gave people a peek at my weird ways I incited hysterical laughter. And then funny looks. So what's a few more?!

Shawn said...

Ashley, you can’t just go throwing the word “Octagonal” around when you know I will be reading. I got a little excited and you know what happens when that happens. I will spare your readers my crudeness. After I started reading, I realized this had nothing to do with the Octagon House. Not really even close, but still a good entry. I really liked #3 and thought for a brief moment I was brainstorming with D. on #6. Cloud! Dog! Barn! Mime!

mendacious said...

really awesome. i'm also for name shortening. I call a handful of people by their first letters only.

i want an example of the repeat convo's. ;: )

Anonymous said...

VIVA LEFT-HANDERS!

It took me years to learn how to hold a pen so that I didn't drag my hand through the ink. In grade school I would get very defensive about the whole sitation (stupid right-handed safety scissors!) and inform everyone that left-handers are naturally more creative, even though now I think there's a study showing that left-handers die sooner.

penelope said...

I love the movie Baby Boom. Dr. Oz on Oprah yesterday said it's proved left-handed people are more intelligent than right. But then he went into this whole thing about being "left-eyed" or "right-eyed," which I didn't get. Probably I would have if I were only left-handed.

Fantastico list!

ashley said...

Mel, I didn't know you are a lefty! Hurrah!

I'm definitely right-eyed. My left eye is pretty gimp.

STGD - don't you worry. We'll go back to the Octagon House again some time when I've saved up enough money. I can't promise the mime though. But a mime interpretation of that trip would have to be pretty good.

Andria said...

And don't forget the torment you experienced over losing the tree on the corner of Butler's Crossing and the little house you adored in the name of progress; where the Eckerd now stands.

Oh, you gotta at least see Mallrats! It is an amusing movie. Clerks was a little amusing to me, but has some great one-liners that are fun to throw out, but sad if they are lost. 37!?

Just a comment about assuming some actor's are truly left-handed. Sometimes, they just take it up for authenticity or fun in a role. Like I think Leo did in Titanic. I'd just hate for you to be disappointed and have to kick people out of the clique after you excitedly welcomed them in!

Great list. I've been trying to come up with some of my own, but only have one or two. I saw I was tagged and held off reading your list until I came up with my own, but it's taking too long and I caved, too curious!

ashley said...

And, Andi, you're right about Butler's Crossing! You know, I actually went down there and took pictures of the tree and the house just before they tore it down, and I kept a framed picture of the barn in my apartment. (I'm still not over it though - stupid Eckerd's!)

ashley said...

Little trivia on Leo - he is in fact right-handed. The lefthander you see sketching in the movie is actually director James Cameron. Just, you know, a little useless information taking up space in my brain. (Thank, IMDB!)

Anonymous said...

I love trees, too. There is something very spiritual to me about them. I always think about how long they've been growing there, what changes they've "seen" in all those years. One of my life goals is to see the Redwoods. . . that would be simply amazing.