Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Second Question: Good or Evil?

The second of seven questions was released this morning by Scholastic leading up to the publication of Deathly Hallows. Is Snape good or evil? This question has been much debated since he Avada Kedavra'ed Dumbledore and fled. So which is it?

* Good and still a spy for the OOTP

* Good but in too deep with Voldemort

* Evil and has always been a spy for Voldemort

* Evil but only because Voldemort is back

At the moment, the first choice is winning at 45%. I'm surprised. A poll on Mugglenet shortly after Half-Blood Prince was published had Snape pegged as evil. I must agree with the majority here...if there's one thing we should've all learned by now, Rowling's scenes are never quite what they seem. I think there was more to "Severus, please" than a plea for life. And as for the look of hatred on Snape's face, Bellatrix told Harry that you can't succeed with the Unforgivable Curses unless you mean them.

4 cat calls:

Kim said...

I heart Snape A LOT, and believe him to be the greatest superspy of all time. Sure, he can be sort of a douche. But he's a douche with a heart of gold.

ashley said...

How stoked are you for the Snape's Worst Memory scene in OOTP? Remember when you read that chapter every day like twice a day?

Kim said...

I STILL get that out and read it sometimes. That, and his big scene in HBP. Because I am that kind of dork.

penelope said...

Part of me feels like the answer is not so black and white. Like, is he good, or is he evil? And the answer is, yes.

Either way, it always felt too simple to me for Harry ultimately to be right in his 11-year-old suspicions. Mean teacher=evil person? Not necessarily.

I don't know the answer, but I cannot WAIT to find out.