Thursday, May 24, 2007

Right Now

I reached a turning point this week in the transition period. Not really awareness. Just a sudden restless feeling. Listless, grouchy and snappish. Craving quiet and then noise. Meeting Mom at the door when she gets home declaring, "I'm bored." Waiting for the deep dark of night when I am alone again.

Yearning for a place and yet afraid to find it. Trapped between where I was and where I'm going. I want to yell at everyone, "You don't understand" and then am desperate to talk to someone who does. Annoyed by the faces that make me hesitate - are you from here or from there? Do I really know you or did I know you in a former life? An understated case of schizophrenia.

I rub my brows a lot. I've come up with a hundred analogies for this place in my life. I'm like a cat being dropped. I'm like an exchange student. I'm like a time traveler. Adjectives to describe it that I've never used before now. I told Mom tonight I am "cagey."

I saw on the History Channel this place in California called The Mystery Spot that seems to defy gravity - balls rolling upward, people standing upright appear on an incline. But it was debunked as a trick of perspective. The whole site is built at an odd angle, and the creator was careful to remove all traces of the normal horizon with a very high surrounding fence.

All my points of reference are gone. I don't quite know where I'm standing. And everything outside of the fence - that normal horizon that everyone else is operating according to - seems very foreign and very distant. And I knew it was coming - I did - but that it's here and I'm feeling it doesn't make it any easier.

2 cat calls:

mendacious said...

i found my days of joblessness passing just like this- momasks: what'd you do today? me: the day came and it went...

i started making more lists. that helped for a little while but sometimes what would satisfy that feeling is work and the company of others- and that, is an uneasy gain.

Cue said...

I'm clearly way behind on my reading... but had to chime in that I can relate. That is, because of my tendency to redo my ENTIRE LIFE every year, year and a half or so. Seriously. I shift: locations, careers, and relationships, and usually all in one swoop. Whether to label that "bravery" or "stupidity," I have not yet decided. But anyway, that feeling of being off-center? Yeah. I get it.