Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Taking the Long Way (or The UnPlan Plan)

Two questions most asked since my departure from Wilmywood:

1) Are you enjoying having some time off from work?
2) Have you found a job yet?

Please don't think these questions are mutually exclusive. I'm often asked them back to back.

Here's the thing: I have followed the plan to the nth letter since I was 12 years old. I choose 12, because that's when I decided to go to Berry. And major in Communication. When I was 14, I started high school on the college prep track. I joined clubs. I did extracurricular activities. When I was 15, I took the PSAT. When I was 16, I took the SAT. Took it again when I was 17 and took the ACT, too - just for good measure. At 17, I was accepted to Berry and awarded a scholarship. At 18, I went to college.

In those four years of college, I stayed in the major I declared as a 12-year-old, and added three minors to it. I got a second scholarship in theatre. I worked at Oak Hill and was made supervisor. I applied to grad school. I did an internship. I graduated and went to Wilmywood. I got a job. At 24, I earned my MFA. And I stayed in my job, working full-time.

I have followed The Plan so very carefully. And now, for a few weeks of my life since I was 12, I don't have a plan. And it's a national emergency. I know it's what people think to ask, but I wish they wouldn't ask it like they're panicked for me. Like the time is ticking and the bank account is growing smaller.

There's a plan for everything. Your cell phone. Your retirement. The possibility that your workplace comes under a terrorist attack. Perhaps it's time to be liberated from The Plan.

On the way home today, I wasn't paying attention and missed the interstate I was supposed to take and ended up taking another way home. A longer way that I probably haven't driven since college. I missed a bypass later and ended up driving through a quaint little downtown. A drive that should've taken me an hour and a half tops, crested to just over two hours. But you know what? It was okay.

Sometimes, you have to throw the map out the window. Sometimes you have to get lost. Sometimes you just have to keep driving even though you don't know where you're going. Sometimes, the future - that far off destination- is too far away. Sometimes, right now, with the windows down and Keane turned up, is enough. It's enough.

Here's to the UnPlan Plan.

9 cat calls:

Ruby said...

Good for you. You have the rest of your life to live by the plan.

Enjoy it while you can!

penelope said...

Amen, sister. Enjoy picking which fork in the road to travel down next.

Andria said...

Your growth and perspective is amazing. You've always been one to take the "long" way and get lost, but before you would have been panicked (I'm thinking looping the city on 285 and calling Justin from a McDonald's in Atlanta and expecting him to know where you were!) I'm glad you are allowing yourself the peace of mind to just go with it and let it all work itself out!

mendacious said...

Here!Here!And i would definitely say god's plans for you are larger than 9-5.

Jennifer Walter said...

Andria! I was just thinking the same thing. "Ashley missed a turn and was okay with it?!"
I am proud of you Ash. And for much more than taking the long way home.

Anonymous said...

I second what Andria and Jen Ray said. . . this really just shows how much you've grown that you can leave "The Plan" behind you. And this "Unplan" time is more than well deserved. I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

ashley said...

Yes, I have come quite a long way with the prospect of getting lost. I actually found it very amusing yesterday.

And to Mendacious, that is a very good point. My whole life isn't hinging on my job. And that's important for me to remember - and to remind others of, too, during this little trip off the beaten path.

Niki said...

i feel ya. word.

as reported by me said...

When I was 27, I up and quit my corporate job. It was a good job, I was on the fast-track, I was being groomed for bigger and better things.

I knew the corporate world was sucking the life out of me and I had to put an end to it.

Best move I ever made. Walking away from that job ranks right up there with throwing away my television set.