Friday, December 01, 2006

A Question for the OC Kids

I was sitting here surfing around the internet when a random word descended upon me: Ferngully. Followed by the word was a vague string of memories. Did we or did we not go to see this movie as a class field trip? At first I thought it was in 5th grade, but, y'all, this movie came out in '92, meaning we were in 8th grade. Did they really take us to see an animated movie in 8th grade? I think they did. And then we were supposed to have a picnic at Herman C. Michael but some boys got in trouble for throwing rocks or fighting or something and we had to go back to school early. I just remember Heather and me being all a-twitter about this movie because Christian Slater was one of the voices, and I was madly in love with him for his stellar performance in the well-acted classic Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I have always had a discerning taste for fine films.

5 cat calls:

Anonymous said...

I completely forgot about this until you mentioned it, but now I totally remember! Why the hell did they take us to see that? I think maybe it was supposed to teach us about environmentalism? I can't imagine what a group of 8th graders must have been like sitting there watching an animated movie about fairies. No wonder two boys started throwing rocks at each other afterwards.

Andria said...

What grade was Mrs. MacGregor? She was all about saving the rain forest and such. I could see her taking us, but that would go along with your 5th grade recollection, not 8th, right?

ashley said...

Hmmm. Mrs. MacGregor...I thought she was 7th grade. Maybe it was 7th grade. The more I think about it, the more it seems distinctly like a middle school occasion. I mean, girls in love with Christian Slate, boys throwing rocks. What could possibly be more middle school than that?

Yes, Jenn, I believe you are right. From checking the IMDB entry, I was reminded that Tim Curry plays the evil Hexxus who is encroaching on the rainforest with pollution and grime!

Ruby said...

Girls,

Mrs. MacGregor was 7th grade. I was in the group that called her house at 2am and got in big trouble for it, so I have good ol' Pat burned in my memory!

We went to see FG for rainforest awareness. (I had a shirt that had 'Save the Rainforest' in several languages. I'm sure I probably wore it to the movie because I was cool like that!)

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I know this is really late and no one will read this, but I've been away from Internet and just now trying to catch up and I MUST comment.

It was 8th grade. We went to Memorial Park afterward (at least my "team" did). I remember it vividly because I was "going out" with Hal Jackson at the time. We sat together and he put his arm around me and I laid my head on his shoulder. Then Mr. Fitzpatrick came over and told us to knock it off. Embarassed, yes, but mainly pissed because we weren't making out or anything.

That's all I have to say about that. Back to not-studying for me.